Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your greatest motivational moments?

1. Your greatest motivational moments?

Forgive me if this is a bit off topic for the board. I’ve been interested in the subject of motivation lately, and was wondering if you would share what you consider to be your greatest moments of motivation in your musical journey? I have two in particular that come to mind:

The first was my very first day of college as a freshman. I went up to the music building and found a practice room. After about 30 minutes of what I thought was hard practice, I walked out of the room to grab some water and overheard two violinists in the adjacent practice room. One commented to the other, “whoever that is should probably quit while they’re ahead.” That one comment drove me through my entire degree. I still think about that comment 25 years later when I have feelings of fear or doubt about my playing. The second came in the 2nd semester of my doctoral studies. I had busted my butt for an entire semester practicing longer and harder than I ever had before. I submitted recordings for several competitions, including the Falcone competition and the ITEC competition. I remember the day that I found out that I had not been accepted into either. My teacher caught me sulking on the steps outside the music building. I told him what happened and that I didn’t know if I had what it takes to be successful in music. He remained quiet for a moment then calmly replied “well, maybe you don’t,” and walked away. From that moment I realized that I had to take responsibility and believe in my own ability and potential. I still consider that to be the greatest teaching moment of my life.

Of course these are very personal moments, but I’d love to hear of other’s most motivational moments.
    Both of those moments paid off btw. From my freshman to sophomore year I went from 4th chair in the 3rd concert band that year to 2nd chair in the wind ensemble the next year, sitting between 2 graduate students, and was principal euphonium in my junior year. The year after my graduate teacher’s comment I placed 2nd in the Falcone competition, and won both the Falcone and ITEC competitions the following year.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

I can remember some fairly motivational moments from feeling your boot in my butt.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    When I was in the 8th grade, at the start of the school year, I had the opportunity to switch from trumpet (I was pretty lousy after playing for a couple years) to baritone horn. I was not a very good musician at this point, but I really liked the looks and sound of my "new" instrument. My Dad was stationed at the Pentagon. It was around this time that my folks started taking me and my two brothers and one sister to concerts of the premier service bands (US Air Force, Marine, Navy and US Army Band). We went quite often, and I was really enamored with all of the Bands. At the same time, I was also just plain fascinated. I had never really heard anything like this, and even though I wasn't a very mature musician (or much of one at this point), I could tell they were very, very good. There was usually a soloist at each concert, and I really enjoyed listening to them. Then one night at one of the concerts, there was a euphonium soloist, and he played Carnival of Venice. I was awe struck!! How could anyone play like that??!! At that single moment in time I wanted two things; 1) to be able to play that solo and 2) to be able to play in one of the premier service bands.

On the way home, I told my parents that I was going to learn to play Carnival of Venice. They were mildly amused, and basically told me to not get my hopes up, these guys were professionals who had been playing for years to get to this level. I was unfazed by their comments. I saved my weekly allowance for a few weeks, then asked my folks to take me to a music store so I could buy the music for Carnival of Venice, which I did. I spent the rest of my entire eighth grade working on Carnival of Venice. I never really had much formal music training in the way of lessons (a few lessons to start trumpet, then a couple here or there over many years with some special people, but nothing long term or sustained). So I basically learned the piece on my own using whatever instincts I had. I know I drove the rest of my family crazy with all the hours of playing I did, but I was determined to learn this piece. Well, at the end of eighth grade, I could play Carnival of Venice. Now it surely did not have the polish of a professional, but I could play the whole piece at about the tempo it was supposed to go. I played that piece so much, that to this day, I can whip it out from memory pretty easily.

From that point on, I fell in love with the baritone/euphonium, and I learned as many of the barn burner solos as I could get my hands on. I did all this before even learning how to warm up and play scales and slurs and other things.

So, Martin, I sort of know what it feels like when you get the "I don't think you have the ability" type comments. Once somebody says I can't do something, or doesn't offer a lot of support, I become determined to accomplish the task. So I guess the motivational moment was twofold, hearing the Carnival of Venice being played and hearing my folks say in so many words that I would not be able to play that piece or play like that. My folks weren't mean or anything like that, they were just being what they thought was realistic as I had not shown much promise as a musician after a couple years on trumpet. But that solo turned my musical life around. And I eventually ended up in the US Army Band a few years after high school. Life with the euphonium has been awfully good to me.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

4. Great story John! I have a long similar relationship with Carnival of Venice as well.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

5. Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    I can remember some fairly motivational moments from feeling your boot in my butt.
    So that’s what happened to my boots...
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

First of all I’m not a professional, but an amateur or hobbyist who really loves playing the euphonium. I had only been back to playing for 2 about years after a 33 year break. I was at ITEC in Greensboro, NC (2002) and was one of about 150 in attendance of a master class with Roger Behrend. Roger started off by saying, “The euphonium is one of the easiest instruments to play so you better do it well — very well.” At the time I didn’t feel like it was all that easy. When I got back home I started taking lessons with Fred Dart. I’ll never forget what Roger said.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

7. Jim I think I was at that same class. Roger’s passion really comes through in his teaching

Negative comments can be a great motivator, but so can positive comments. I was a cornet player. My high school band director suggested I upgrade to tuba. OK, he more than suggested, he strongly encouraged me. Well, that change was the right choice. Being a tuba player became part of my high school identity. Then college and life happened and I didn't play for 10 or more years. My wife found a horn at an auction for a small amount of money. I started practicing and began to play in a few community bands. We mored around a bit, we used community band and church to settle into a new community. When I retired I got serious about playing again. I did take up baritone/euphonium in addition to tuba. I now play is 2 quintets and 3 bands. Being a low brass player is again part of my identity. So the motivational moment was a little longer than a moment, but like the other stories, was sparked by one person's encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by cochranme View Post
    Jim I think I was at that same class. Roger’s passion really comes through in his teaching
    It’s Rick, but that’s okay. If I’m not mistaken, you performed there right? It’s been 16 yrs. so I may be remembering wrong.

I just remembered that Roger Behrend also asked everyone what they pictured in their minds to create a full, rich, warm tone. There were lots of replies. One was pretty funny... a bacon cheese burger. Roger said he pictured burgundy velvet — which makes sense to me. Pretty descriptive.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

10. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    It’s Rick, but that’s okay. If I’m not mistaken, you performed there right? It’s been 16 yrs. so I may be remembering wrong.

I just remembered that Roger Behrend also asked everyone what they pictured in their minds to create a full, rich, warm tone. There were lots of replies. One was pretty funny... a bacon cheese burger. Roger said he pictured burgundy velvet — which makes sense to me. Pretty descriptive.
    Whoops, sorry Rick! Brain freeze there. I was competing there at the time. I do remember that exact comment from Roger though.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast