Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kit15
    • Jul 2017

I'm kind of in the middle of a "Carnival of Venice" phase right now.

So...a few months after picking up a euphonium for the first time (from flute) I was...um...offered the opportunity to play Endearing Young Charms with the community band I’m in. Turned it down flat almost immediately after looking at it and suggested the director ask my section mate instead since it's more of a possibility for him. He told me he would, but he still thought I was better suited for this one if I could pull it off. At the time I found this whole conversation awkward and even a little upsetting. Now that it's been a while, I think I understand what he was getting at. Speed and range aside, I don't really sound like a person who has been playing euph for a few months. I guess he saw potential in me to make it "pretty" if I could get the technical stuff down. Doesn't make the piece any less beyond me though.

So I'm working on it on my own as a private side project, as well as splurging on the Bowman/Alessi Arban book to work on other skills. Even if I never play it publicly, I can’t just let this go unlearned. Also, I'd like to be in a position where I won't want to turn down an opportunity like this so quickly again.

Comment

• MikeS
      • Apr 2012

Mine came when I auditioned for my college trombone teacher. I finished playing and he said,

"Kid, you've got tone out the wazoo, I should sound that good..."

My heart soared like a hawk until he continued,

"But you can't play music for s%$t..."

The hawk crashed in flames. He concluded,

"We're going to work on that."

He kept me scared, excited, motivated, and always a little off balance for four years. Forty plus years later I never pick up a horn without hearing him say, "Never play notes, always play music."

Comment

• MichaelSchott
        • Mar 2012

A few moments:

1) In high school I would attend Detroit Concert Band concerts at the old Detroit State Fair band shell. Hearing Earle Louder solo showed me what a euphonium can really sound like.

2) As a HS senior after committing to attend MSU, I went to hear the MSU Symphonic Band play at a local high school. The 1st chair euphonium player soloed on Showers of Gold by Clarke. Damn, I thought. I now have the opportunity to learn to play that well.

Comment

Working...
        X