Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKB 375 case

SKB 375 case

I appreciate all the good information in this forum about flying with a euphonium. So I'm not looking for repeats of the points of wisdom that have already been so well expressed.

What I don't find anywhere on the site is a discussion of the relative quality level of the SKB 375 euphonium case. Can anyone who knows it well offer any recommendations of it or warnings against it in terms of the adequacy of protection it offers compared to other cases?

Here's a pic to assist in identifying the case I'm interested in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	5851

Thanks!

Randy

I used a similar model briefly on the horns I had here for trial. The case itself was very sturdy feeling and padding seemed generous. It struck me as having as much chance as most cases of protecting the horn, and a better-than-average chance of surviving travel with no case damage.

Disclaimer: whether your horn will protected depends on the specific abuse the case experiences and the way your particular horn fits it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I see one here for $171.99, about $40 off normal price for an open-box item. Free shipping also!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKB-375-Uni...x/263459302853
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thanks for the helpful replies, Dave. I do understand the risks. Also for the link. Tuba Exchange is selling new ones at $195. Their website says $215 but invites you to call for their "too-low-to-print" price. Your eBay item appears to be better yet; apparently pretty much as good as new, and I'm sure I could contact the seller to confirm the details of the condition, since the pix appear to be stock photos.

Randy

5. I have an SKB case, however I do not know whether or not is this model. They look identical, though. Anyways, last year I was on a total of 14 planes. Due to costs I had to check my euphonium on every flight, and it survived each one of the travels. The case came with two very small keys, so I put a long strand of duct tape on each one in order to make me less likely to use it. Before I left my euph in the hands of the beloved TSA agents, I put duct tape over both of the latches and I stuffed the bell of my euphonium with bubble wrap, but not necessarily in that order. My Wessex was a bit too short for the case, so I used the bubble wrap to prevent it from sliding around. There is clear evidence of the case taking some hits, but it did its job. The case has a rubber handle, so carrying it around for a long time gets to be a bit painful. Hope this helped
    T.J. Davis

Wessex Dolce
    G&W Kadja

Yes, personal experience is very helpful. Especially appreciate the tip that I might consider reversing the order in which you listed your operations. My son is the one who will be doing the traveling. As we pack his horn, I guess we will try both orders. When we figure out which one works best, I'll write you back so you'll know for your future reference. Now for a tip of my own: always fight subtlety with subtlety.

Best,

Randy

Dave, the actual buyer of the case is my son; I've been doing some research for him to help him make his decision. He decided to go with the case that you provided a link for. I clicked through from your forum post and completed the purchase a few minutes ago. So thanks for the help. Hopefully the case will be in pretty good shape. They (Music 123) describe it as having some minor blemishes, but they were unwilling to describe in any greater detail or provide any pictures except for the stock photos. Too busy selling stuff, I guess. At least the price is good, with the free shipping. So, deal done. Thanks again.

Randy

No problem! I hope it has a good long life of protecting its contents. If there are describing it fairly (and I would assume so, as you did), then any blemishes now aren't going to matter after the first flight. I bought a high-quality suitcase a while back, and after 3 round trip flights it does not look nearly as nice. But there is no compromise to how it works. I get angry when I see signs of obvious negligence from the airlines, but even if it has a pretty smooth trip the very nature of travel will scuff it up. It's often resting/rubbing against aluminum, which on a light-colored case will show up noticeably. Then you add getting tied down tightly, riding the conveyor into and out of the plane, and riding the baggage claim carousel (not to mention being launched out of the high ramp on some), and you have a fine recipe for taking away the showroom-new look.

But it makes you look more like a busy musician!!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Agreed on all points. And hopefully it won't have to get handled so often by the airlines; perhaps it'll usually get to travel in the flight-deck closet that seems often to be available for horns. He's planning to print out the TSA rules about musical instruments and take them with him to use as friendly leverage, hoping to overcome any resistance by gate personnel. At least maybe he can get it gate-checked and eliminate some of the handling. And he is getting a little busier as a musician. At age 19 this year, he competed in the MTNA Young Artists brass competition (ages 19-26), won SC, then at the regional he placed as the alternate to the national competition. After winning the state, he had a 90-minute lesson with Adam Frey that he felt helped him significantly expand his range of musicality, so we were very pleased with the results at the regional. So it'll be interesting to see where he goes with the horn over the coming years.

Randy

Case arrived today, in like-new condition. With free shipping, it was probably $50 cheaper than the new one I was about to order from Tuba Exchange (I don't know for sure what their shipping charge would have been, but I feel certain that it would not have been free, as the case was already marked down to $195. I generally check eBay before buying new, but this time I did not, figuring that given the importance of the protection we'd be buying, it didn't make much sense to buy a used one. I wouldn't have expected to see a new one at this price and free shipping. So thanks for passing along that tip, Dave! Good feedback for Music123 on this transaction, too.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast