X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ntm
    • Jan 2018

Euphonium opportunities?

I'm a young player (14) and I have a few questions. Let me start off by saying that euphonium is not my first instrument. I started out playing the trumped in 4th grade and around the middle of 6th grade is when I started playing euphonium. I loved it much more than my trumpet and actually got very passionate about playing. I had joined jazz band in 7th and was told I would not be able to play Euph in jazz band in 9th, so over the summer I learned trombone. Euphonium still stood as my favorite instrument by far. I had some doubts about it though for 2 main reasons. In 7th grade I was a little torn about what instrument to play as my main one, I enjoyed euph the most but I never had melody or any part that I could have fun with, so i asked my band teacher about my parts and he told me that as I grow and get older as a player, I will start getting more and more melodic parts. Is this true? And my last concern was that if I play this in bands outside of school, which I very much hope to do later on in life at least part time, are there many opportunities with this instrument. I feel like instruments like trumpet and saxophone are more sought after for performances. Is this a viable career instrument choice? Thank you for your time
    Last edited by Ntm; 01-13-2018, 05:32 PM.
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Welcome to the forum. Euphonium often has great counter melodies in marches and sometimes has the melody in other pieces. It's often called the 'tenor soloist' of the band. True, that euphonium is not usually seen in jazz band. I too started out on trumpet, but learned to really like the 'tenor voice' of the euphonium. Sometimes the euphonium helps the horns (French horns) with their part, or sometimes the tubas. Sometimes you have a melody all your own. It has a unique sound in the range of trombone, but due to its conical bore, a much sweeter or mellower sound.

As far as making a career of playing euphonium, sorry to say that's really tough. There are no euphoniums in an orchestra (unless they're playing Holst or Mussorgsky), and then those parts are usually played by a trombonist who doubles on euph. Euphoniums are needed in military bands, but those jobs are few and far between.

There are featured solos for euphonium with concert band. One of my favorites it "Rhapsody for Euphonium" by James Curnow. Here's an excellent example by Toru Miura of Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra:

Rhapsody for Euphonium - James Curnow
    Last edited by RickF; 01-13-2018, 05:13 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Ntm
      • Jan 2018

When i first posted this I said "professional level" which i then edited after this reply. what I really meant was like my ability to paly this instrument outside of school band. I don't need to be like david childs or something. I just want to be able to make like any money playing, or even just play at all because i do very much enjoy playing my instrument.

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Welcome to the forum!

Euphonium players can keep very busy in larger communities, but they won't make a lot of money just playing in bands. They can have a lot of fun, though! I often advised people that it's good to have a money-making career and do euphonium as a hobby on the side. A great many people have done and are doing that.

It is possible for an ambitious player to make money at a pretty decent level, but probably not as a sole source of income, by "gigging" in a small ensemble or a couple small ensembles. If you are a good organizer and promoter, you might be able to start a quartet (2 cornets, horn, and euphonium) or quintet (playing euphonium on trombone parts). Then you work to find gigs! If you get some momentum going, word of mouth can help you sustain the activity level. With a quartet or quintet you can usually charge about the same amount to play for events, weddings, or whatever. But with a quartet there is more money for each person!
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Ntm
          • Jan 2018

Yeah I had a feeling that i would have to get another job if I wanted to live comfortably. I also try to keep active on my other instruments as well just in case I need to play them later on or something. I also plan to pick up sax during this upcoming summer since I live right next to a Paul effman store and they give our beginner lessons. I would think that I'd always be playing as a hobby though, since all the euphonium professionals are like insane at playing their instruments and do it like all the time. Glad to hear that I could still play it after high school though! thank you

Comment

• adrian_quince
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Ntm View Post
            I would think that I'd always be playing as a hobby though, since all the euphonium professionals are like insane at playing their instruments and do it like all the time. Glad to hear that I could still play it after high school though!
            One of the beautiful things about the current era is that pretty much anyone who wants to play a band instrument as an adult can find a place to do so. There are tons of community bands in the US, and it sounds like the situation is similar in other countries.

If you get creative, you can even find a fair number of gigging opportunities as a euphoniumist. Heck, I played 20 Oktoberfests last year, all paid, as part of various German music groups in the SF Bay Area. Playing euphonium on stage with 2,000 people eating, drinking, and dancing is a really fun way to spend an afternoon!

But, if you want to make a living with the euphonium, there really are very few options. The military bands have most of them. Besides the top service bands, there are opportunities for qualified musicians in other military bands throughout the country. In my area, there is the well-regarded USAF Band of the Golden West out of Travis AFB. Beyond that, there's really not much.

If you want to make a career out of music, be prepared to double on an orchestral instrument. There are many more opportunities for trumpet and trombone players out there than euphoniumists. (Sad, but true!) And if you like teaching, so much the better. I can't think of a single professional musician I know who doesn't do some teaching. Not only does it help with income, but it helps pass the art on to the next generation.

Or, you could be like me and program computers during the day and take your music really, really seriously on nights and weekends.
            Adrian L. Quince
            Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
            www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• Radar
              • Aug 2015

Since Graduating from High school (about 4 decades ago) I've played in a lot of situations over the years (some paying a lot of free), but I've always had a day job to support myself. Paying gigs on any brass instrument are hard to come by, and since Euphonium isn't a usual orchestral instrument, and really doesn't fit well in a professional Jazz ensemble as part of a trombone section (there are a few exceptions out there but it isn't the norm) there are fewer opportunities than some other brass instruments like trumpet or trombone. The most common paying gigs I've had on euphonium were the Army Reserve Band (military bands are the best source of paying opportunities for our instrument), German Bands (the paying jobs tend to come all at once around Octoberfest time), and I also play in a Fire Department Sponsored Band that actually pays us a little for parades. Other than the military band my best paying gigs have been on Trombone (and Tuba), as part of a brass quartet or quintet in churches, and for weddings, or on Trombone as part of a Jazz Big band. I would suggest keeping up and being as proficient as you can be on both the Trombone and the Euphonium if you really want to make extra money playing. There are many playing opportunities for hobbyist musicians, and I enjoy those free playing opportunities as much or more as the paying ones. As you become secure and make money in you chosen career field the money part of the playing equation becomes less important. If you want to make money playing you really have to hustle, be creative, and versatile, and be very proficient on your instrument because there is a lot of competition out there. Good luck and keep playing it's a great pastime regardless of whether you are making money at it or not.
              Last edited by Radar; 01-16-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Eupher6
                • Mar 2009

If you like to eat regularly (I do), gotta have a Plan B. Or even a Plan A, which includes having a profession outside of playing euphonium.

This is not to throw a monkey wrench into your aspirations, but it is designed to give you a reality check. Bottom line is, it takes a lot more determination, drive, persistence, and gumption to make it in the music performance field -- and it was a lot more than I had, even though I made the Army a career playing euphonium and trombone.

It seems there is only room for a few Steven Meads and soloists of that caliber. You can get there, but it takes a heckuva lot of those qualities I listed above.

Speaking of eating, it's lunchtime.
                U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
                Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
                Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
                Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
                Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
                Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                  • Mar 2012

All great info above and I can attest that at age 60 I still love playing euphonium and have not become rich by doing so. I make my living as a salesman, not a musician. Twice a year, for the past 25 years or so I get paid for playing in a Catholic church. These are Christmas and Easter gigs and they pay well but in the big scheme it's bonus income. As mentioned there are opportunities for quartets and similar at weddings and other special occasions. If you want to earn more, learn trombone.

But euphonium players play for the love of it. Community concert bands and increasingly Brass Bands provide myriad performance opportunities as a volunteer musician. It's going to be a hobby, not a living.

Comment

• jkircoff
                    • Jan 2013

There are very few people in the world who get to make a living doing what they love. My advice for all young people is to choose a career in a field that you are good at but don't hate that has good long-term prospects in terms of employability and pay, and do what you love on the side as a hobby. This is the path I took, and I along with my family of 5 live comfortably while I have time on the side to play euphonium in wind symphonies, brass bands, polka bands, and tuba/euph quartets.

Practicality and pragmatism over passion is the best course of action for most people, IMO.
                    James Kircoff
                    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
                    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• Snorlax
                      • Mar 2007

My experiences are slightly different from some of the others expressed here. Like others here, I have a very nice day job in Finance and college teaching that pays the bills and allows me to structure my time pretty much as I see fit.

I have expanded my musical horizons to include pop and jazz music. I learned how to read french horn music so I could play that part in my brass quintet. Since I am an OK jazz player, that has enabled our quintet to play many more paying jobs. I also did about 30 arrangements for the group, since much of the stuff we do isn't available commercially.

NOT ONCE has a paying client said anything like "why are you using a euphonium rather than a horn"? The audience just wants to hear the tune and is not concerned with what instruments are playing it as long as it doesn't stink. I only get flak from other euphonium players about why I don't play a Willson with a BB1 mouthpiece.

So to that extent, I would urge you, NTM, to expand your musical horizons to include pop and jazz music.
                      Also, a part of expanded horizons would consist of "being involved in music."
                      "Being a euphonium player" is only a part of "being involved in music."

As mentioned above, I have done three dozen or so charts for our brass quintet, and I discovered that I LOVE arranging. I've also done 15 or so charts for the Indianapolis Brass Choir. That's also part of being involved in music.

In the process of doing these arrangements, I became aware of some finer points of music notation using Finale and Sibelius, discovered that I LOVE making scores and parts that look good, and I now receive music from composers/arrangers to typeset using F or S. That's also part of being involved in music.

Additionally, I met the local middle/intermediate school band director and played for him...now I'm in the school three days a week teaching brass to sixth graders--I've discovered that I LOVE getting these young students started in playing and appreciating good music.

Finally, since I have background in both finance and music, I am serving on the board of directors of two music-related not-for-profit organizations. I have discovered that I LOVE helping these groups succeed musically and financially.

ALL of these activities provide both financial and/or emotional benefits far beyond my day job.

Just a bit of background--I was not a music major in college but had the wonderful opportunity to work with Harvey Phillips for almost 40 years up until his death. I created that opportunity for myself rather than thinking that a distinguished professor of music wouldn't touch a Finance and Language major. One of the million things I learned from Harvey is that one should take an entrepreneurial approach to music. Not only was Harvey the greatest tubist of his time, he played everything from opera to circus to Dixieland, did a lot of contracting work, started a foundation (of which I have been a board member since its inception), saved New England Conservatory from financial disaster, etc., etc.. There is no better example in life of "being involved in music" than the life of Harvey Phillips. Under Harvey's tutelage and support, I made the finals for the West Point Band in 1980. Flunking the physical was the BEST thing that ever happened to me. It allowed me to combine my interests and structure a life for myself that has been more than "ok" financially and emotionally.

So my advice to you, NTM, is to expand your horizons and be "involved in music." There's much more to music than playing the euphonium.
                      I don't know your academic background, but I would certainly urge you so study a STEM or Business-related subject in college. Those fields will allow you to get a nice job that doesn't involve the word "fries" and will provide a living that will allow you to devote time to being involved in music.

One of the things I LOVE about this forum is that there are a huge number of VERY INTELLIGENT people here with myriad different types of intelligence. One cannot be dumb and be a good musician--most of the people here are doing something else in addition to playing the euphonium. I've had many wide-ranging discussions with people here and have learned much about music and other things from them. Part of what I enjoy about being in a couple of different "universes" is that I have made many friends in all of them whose company I treasure and whose interests I share. That's very enjoyable!!

I consider myself blessed to have this life, and I had plenty of support in designing this life, but NONE of it would have happened without my initiative.
                      Jim (snorlax) Williams
                      Last edited by Snorlax; 01-19-2018, 11:05 AM.
                      Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                      Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                      bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                      Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                      Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                      Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                      www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• Himura
                        • May 2017

This is probably the best advice I've seen. It's honest and realistic, but not limiting.

I was a music major on the first go-through at college. It didn't work out, and in a lot of ways, I'm glad it didn't. When I was younger and dumber and quite good at this euphonium-playing thing, I too thought a lot like you are right now, NTM. And then, of course, life happened, and now I'm older and wiser and still quite good at this euphonium-playing thing. It's not the career path that I thought it would be, but it being what allows me to get up and go to work and do all those adult things is so much more valuable.

Start taking some music theory classes now, if they're available, and if you like them, keep taking them. I didn't need to be a music major to take any of nuts-and-bolts-type classes (theory, composition, etc), so you shouldn't need to choose between pursuing "adult" studies and growing as a musician. The worst thing you can do at this point -- or at any point, really -- is to allow yourself to become restricted by what other people tell you to do with your life or to become so focused on one thing that you completely miss opportunities that lie just outside your comfort zone.

One of the goofiest and most fun groups I've played with was The Symphonic Anime Orchestra. It's not traditional, but who really cares? If I'd been concerned with being a "classical" euphonium player, I would have missed out on the experience. I think you've got the right attitude, so just don't let anyone beat it out of you!

You're young, and for that, I envy you a bit because you have so much ahead to experience and grow as a person and a musician.
                        Whatever you lose, you'll find it again. What you throw away, you'll never get back.

-- Kenshin Himura

1974 B & H Imperial / Bach 3G -- no LTE mouthpieces for me!

Comment

• adrian_quince
                          • Mar 2015

Fantastic advice, Jim! Bravo!

I'm going to add one thought to that: If you love music, learn everything you can about it. Learn theory, take ear training, learn a little about conducting and composing, learn how to transpose. Learn to sing a little. Learn music history. Learn about pop, rock, and jazz. Listen widely, because great music can happen on any instrument.

I guarantee, if you love making music with a euphonium, there are at least some other aspects about it you're going to love to. More importantly, you never know when you're going to get the chance to try something. The more you've learned, the more prepared you'll be for that chance.

Personally, I got my serious start as a conductor in my freshman year of college. I'd done a little conducting in high school, usually when our music teacher was out and the sub wasn't a music teacher. In the college's community band, one of the musicians decided to start a sub group, an Italian-style village band.

Well, I loved playing and I thought it sounded like fun, so I showed up at the first rehearsal. The original concept was that we'd be conductor-less, with one of the principal musicians doing the needed cuing. That lasted all of 20 minutes. Then, the musician who started the group asked if anyone had any conducting experience. I had some, so I raised my hand. My hand was the only one in the air.

So, up I went and started working through the music. At first it was rocky and I had a lot of learning yet to do, but that little Italian band played eleven wonderful season and made two CDs. Eventually, it got too hard to keep things going after losing our rehearsal hall, but it was a great thing and opened the door for other opportunities. Both of the current conducting posts I hold came from connections in the Italian Band.

One other thought: Youth is precious. High school and college are the perfect time to say yes to opportunities that sound interesting, even if you're not sure that you need the experience. If there's something you really want to do, find a way to make an opportunity for yourself.

There will be a day in your future when you'll wake up and realize that the people around you are depending on you. Your family, your friends, your colleagues, will all need to you be responsible, dependable, and thoughtful. This is what being an adult really feels like.

It's wonderful to be needed. It's wonderful to be respected. The cost is you get less time for you. It's harder to do things just because they seem interesting. Use the freedom of youth while you have it to explore and learn what you really enjoy, or what you really don't enjoy, so that you can build a life you will be happy with.
                          Adrian L. Quince
                          Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
                          www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• Davidus1
                            • Jul 2008

Great posts on this thread. Thanks Jim for your wisdom. I have a son who is showing promise as an upright bass player. I was in the Army Band for over 10 years and enjoyed it. I talked with my son about how hard it is to make it playing music. I've encouraged him to study the STEM courses, as Jim suggests, and that he should double major in music and another career field. (computers, engineering........something that you can make a decent living at) and then do music on the side as a lifetime enjoyable activity. I would share this same advice with anyone. Many players are "big fish" in their small pond and think they can make it. I learned very quickly after joining the military that there are myriads of great players all over. There aren't that many gigs that pay for full time playing that offer health insurance and other life necessities. If you aren't interested in teaching there are even far less opportunities. There is a great YouTube video of Tom Bones Malone talking about his career and the importance of being a good band member and a good person to those you encounter in life. (See Michael Davis "BonetoPick" video series on YouTube) My experience has been the it isn't always about how well you play but how well you get along with others that will get you gigs. Networking is important. I like how Jim mentioned all the other areas of music that can be of interest as well. Best wishes.
                            John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                            Yamaha 354 Trombone
                            Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

Working...
                            X