Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Yamaha Euphs with Trigger?

1. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Doug, where did you get a thumb screw pushrod to replace your turnbuckle one? The Adams mechanism is similar to the old Sterling mechanism, and it's the worst trigger I've ever experienced. I'd like to try a similar upgrade!
    I picked it up during one of my annual visits to see Paul Riggett at the factory. We had pre-measured the length of the old style pushrod and he made up a new one to that length. Sorry, but nothing off the shelf....
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

As an aside and probably as more of a reply to Art, I've found that on the Yamaha's (and the Chinese clones) 4th Valve produces a remarkably in-tune Middle C, way better than 1 or 1 and 3.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

I pulled the trigger on this one...

This is exactly the reason I had this one built; flimsy and you have to use your thumb in what for me is awkward.

Left index for 4th, remaining for trigger.

You just can't break it, and adjustment is easy.

Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trigger b.JPG  

I agree that the Bauerfind valves, when well broken in, are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Don,

As you know, I am quite familiar with the trigger on your horn since I provided the spare parts that allowed you to get it repaired. I generally agree that the first generation trigger on the Sterling was inferior to the Besson or Miraphone. It had WAY too stiff of a spring, the turnbuckle pushrod mechanism was heavy and broke easily, the pivot mounts on the third valve slide were poorly attached and would break off, and the trumpet style screw stop on the main tuning slide made removing the tuning slide a real pain. And yes, it made an already heavy horn, heavier.

The new Sterling Virtuoso's have a vastly improved trigger system. The stops are built into a much more robust lever assembly, the spring is much lighter, and the tuning adjustment is in the pushrod which now has a thumb screw allowing quick removal of the tuning slide.

I have managed to overcome all of these issues on my horn and the trigger now works ALMOST as smoothly and lightly as the one on my 2007 Prestige. Both pivot points on the 3rd valve slide had to be resoldered after they broke, the spring was "de-arched" by Osmun music when they were working on the horn, and the original turnbuckle pushrod was replaced by a new thumbscrew pushrod, reducing weight and making service much quicker. The only remaining limitation is that my horn still uses the screw stop on the slide itself to adjust intonation and trigger throw. Though it did took me more than a few years and repairs to get there, I love the mechanics on my 2009 Virtuoso. The Bauerfeind valves are now perfection, the trigger works reliably and smoothly, and the horn just plays damn fine.

Even though I have had my Sterling for nearly 9 years, I like it more now than when it was new.

Here's a WWBW video of the Yamaha Booth at NAMM2018 showing the Yamaha Trigger in action.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWtGSHIPPcg
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123