Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yamaha Euphs with Trigger?

New Yamaha Euphs with Trigger?

Interesting tweet I just saw, does anyone know anything more about this?
    https://twitter.com/castbrass/status/951433728697479168
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Total surprise to me! I thought that was against their philosophy of life or something, because they have waited so long. But I think it's a good idea in today's market. Many years ago I tested a Yamaha to consider as a replacement for my Sterling. At that time I found the intonation to be no better than my non-triggered pre-Virtuoso Sterling. The Yamahas I have tested over the years have enough sharpness on some notes that a trigger would be welcome, I should think.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I may be repeating myself, but my philosophy on triggers is that I would rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I wonder if this is a response to the JP Sterling with Trigger as the price undercuts a new Neo 642 by a few thousand - and also Besson has been making their Sovereigns with Triggers more available for a price point less than the Prestige. Neo with trigger would compare very favorably against the Sovereign I would imagine.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Is it really of a new triggger system developped by yamaha or a MTP trigger that can be installation by a repair man?

6. Triggers have been a god send for me. No longer do I need to worry about 5th and 6th partials being sharp, and the presence of a trigger on my Sterling Virtuoso has not affected the tone of the instrument. In fact, several people have said my Sterling produces some of the finest tone from euphonium they have heard.

Besides the added weight and cost, why would any manufacturer be against a trigger?

I get the idea of the trigger and that there are compromises in every horn that affect intonation but why should expensive horns need to correct extreme intonation issues with an external device? Can't they design the horn so this is not such an issue? I realize this is an age old question and that Besson's have had the same issue for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    I get the idea of the trigger and that there are compromises in every horn that affect intonation but why should expensive horns need to correct extreme intonation issues with an external device? Can't they design the horn so this is not such an issue? I realize this is an age old question and that Besson's have had the same issue for decades.
    For many years I would have said it may be impossible on euphonium because of the large, conical bore. But when I played the Adams I was amazed at how well the had managed the traditional 6th partial, and managed to not mess up a bunch of other things at the same time. So with the Adams I feel we are now in the same general area as trumpet players. For years trumpet folks have had fine instruments with very good intonation, and I feel the Adams has built horns with similarly-small intonation issues.

That said, even the best trumpets usually come with a 1st-valve trigger or throw ring so they can fix some notes that involve the 1st valve. They also have a 3rd-valve adjuster, but we mostly get around that need by having a 4th valve on our horns. So if some Adams players want a trigger for some notes, I can understand it.

With trumpet or euphonium, once you put a mute in you are going to be sharper. It's easier on trumpet to reach out and move the main slide out a bit, and that can be done with the left hand while playing. Not so easy with euphonium, so some folks find the trigger helpful for short muted passages.

I still feel that a trigger introduces maintenance issues and a greater risk of damage. Miel Adams prefers to not install them because he feels the mechanism inhibits the full-horn resonance that he believes is valuable. He offers them anyway, because he wants to let players make that final choice.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've been seeing their ad on the back of brass band world magazine for the past several months with a picture of what I now assume must be the tuning slide guard and just the text "coming soon" -- so now it all makes sense.

I like it. If my replacement Adams is still disappointing, I know what I'm going to get.

Even if your instrument were to be 100% perfectly in tune with a tuner (set to equal temperament) on every single note (which isn't possible) you should be tuning chords in an ensemble in just intonation, which can be quite a ways off from equal temperament in some cases.
    --
    Barry

I owned a Sterling Virtuoso for a couple of years, which had the trigger. It was an enormous PITA. I constantly had to fuss with it to keep it lubed, and adjusted, and otherwise functional. The trigger added significant weight to the horn, which my left arm and shoulder complained about.

This wasn't much of an improvement over an after-market trigger I had a very reputable instrument repair tech put on a Besson Sov 967 I owned prior to the Sterling.

I dumped both horns eventually and went to an Adams, first an E1 (not enough beef to the horn) and now an E2 (enough beef). Never looked back.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast