Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yamaha Euphs with Trigger?

1. I think the Neo would benefit from a trigger.

The Neo slotted very well across the whole register. So well that the instrument guided you towards the pitch that it wanted to resonate at, and it took a lot of brute force lipping to deviate from that pitch.

The intonation on the Neo is very good, but adjustments are still required. Most of the time these adjustments are done subconsciously. Since the Neo puts up such a fight against these adjustments, there is unnecessary tension and the chops are working hard all the time.

I ended up getting lighter bottom caps (made for the Maestro 642-I) which made the Neo more compliant, at the cost of resonance.

A trigger would move this instrument closer towards perfection, unless the presence of the trigger has other negative impacts.

From memory the 842 slotted very well (once again, too well) in the upper register but the high B was pitched out of tune, the combination of the two made it very difficult to play that note on that instrument. Does any one know if the note was pitched sharp or flat?

2. I think this is good news from yamaha. I've had the opportunity to try all of the top line horns with the exception of Adams, and found that the neo had the best intonation of the lot, but still a little short of the claimed perfection in the usual places. With a trigger it may very well be perfect in the hands of avoid player. What I do like about yamaha, and apparently also Adams is they are trying to make euphonium as close as possible to perfect intonation without a trigger, while some manufacturers seem to see the main slide trigger as an excuse to churn out instruments with alarmingly poor intonation between the fundamental tones and valves.

it seems that the system is completely different compared to my Prestige 2051

https://fr.yamaha.com/files/download...Y72140_web.pdf

The trigger on the Sterling I owned was, with all due respect to Paul Riggett, mechanically speaking the biggest piece of garbage I've ever encountered. The Miraphone and Besson triggers are both vastly superior to Sterling.

I'm certain Yamaha will have a trigger that is as well executed as other mechanical parts of their instruments, like the slide on my Xeno trombone.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    I owned a Sterling Virtuoso for a couple of years, which had the trigger. It was an enormous PITA. I constantly had to fuss with it to keep it lubed, and adjusted, and otherwise functional. The trigger added significant weight to the horn, which my left arm and shoulder complained about.

This wasn't much of an improvement over an after-market trigger I had a very reputable instrument repair tech put on a Besson Sov 967 I owned prior to the Sterling.

I dumped both horns eventually and went to an Adams, first an E1 (not enough beef to the horn) and now an E2 (enough beef). Never looked back.

Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

I have known about the trigger Yamaha have been designing for a couple of years now (from some inside information). They have been in prototype stage for a while and have now just fully been released. https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/mu...ums/index.html

Yamaha seem to still be selling the Custom and Neo's without a trigger as well as with a trigger for preference. I am hoping they will release a trigger adaption kit sometime in the future as well for the guys like me who have a Custom or Neo and can't afford to purchase a new instrument with a trigger on it.

I know both would benefit considerably with a trigger. Due to the traditional flat concert C on 1st valve with Yamaha euphoniums, this allows to have the first sldie all the way in to keep the concert C in tune, whilst having the trigger option to bring concert Ebs and Gs into tune using the trigger. Also this allows Yamaha more competition against the heavyweights like Besson, York, Sterling and Geneva in the UK now they have a trigger option. And for the folks who don't like triggers, the Custom and Neo have pretty solid intonation on their own. A win-win in my book.

The only part of it I question is the build quality. The paddle looks sturdy enough, but I wonder at how strong the attachment is. The belly guard looks a little flimsy (ala Wessex on their Dolce Cantabile), but I may consider just purchasing a new Besson Prestige gold guard to use instead if possible. But I know they have been testing this for a while, so I would expect it to hold up very very well.

Overall, very exciting. Can't wait to try one in person!
    Last edited by Cameron J.; 01-24-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by run76 View Post
    Is it really of a new triggger system developped by yamaha or a MTP trigger that can be installation by a repair man?
    No it is fully developed by Yamaha.

8. Comparing my Sterling Virtuoso from 2008 with the Yamaha Neo from 2016: both are rather unproblematic intonationwise. Except one note: I canīt cope with the extremely flat concert C/1st valve on the Yamaha Euphonium. 13-fingering is better but not good. Iīm used to lip down the typical candidates on compensated euphoniums. So i hardly use the trigger on the Sterling and donīt miss it on the Yamaha. The problem for me is to lip up notes especially the higher ones. Lipped up High C on the Neo is similar difficult to hit as high B is difficult to hit on most other brands.
    If a piece requires high C I donīt need a trigger on the Neo. I simply grab the Sterling for that piece and play the C without trigger in tune.
    Sterling Virtuoso / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha 642 II / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha YBH 831S / Giddings Kadja S
    Yamaha Flügelhorn 631GS / DW2FL

9. Quote Originally Posted by djwpe View Post
    The trigger on the Sterling I owned was, with all due respect to Paul Riggett, mechanically speaking the biggest piece of garbage I've ever encountered. The Miraphone and Besson triggers are both vastly superior to Sterling.
    Don
    Don,

As you know, I am quite familiar with the trigger on your horn since I provided the spare parts that allowed you to get it repaired. I generally agree that the first generation trigger on the Sterling was inferior to the Besson or Miraphone. It had WAY too stiff of a spring, the turnbuckle pushrod mechanism was heavy and broke easily, the pivot mounts on the third valve slide were poorly attached and would break off, and the trumpet style screw stop on the main tuning slide made removing the tuning slide a real pain. And yes, it made an already heavy horn, heavier.

The new Sterling Virtuoso's have a vastly improved trigger system. The stops are built into a much more robust lever assembly, the spring is much lighter, and the tuning adjustment is in the pushrod which now has a thumb screw allowing quick removal of the tuning slide.

I have managed to overcome all of these issues on my horn and the trigger now works ALMOST as smoothly and lightly as the one on my 2007 Prestige. Both pivot points on the 3rd valve slide had to be resoldered after they broke, the spring was "de-arched" by Osmun music when they were working on the horn, and the original turnbuckle pushrod was replaced by a new thumbscrew pushrod, reducing weight and making service much quicker. The only remaining limitation is that my horn still uses the screw stop on the slide itself to adjust intonation and trigger throw. Though it did took me more than a few years and repairs to get there, I love the mechanics on my 2009 Virtuoso. The Bauerfeind valves are now perfection, the trigger works reliably and smoothly, and the horn just plays damn fine.

Even though I have had my Sterling for nearly 9 years, I like it more now than when it was new.
    Last edited by daruby; 01-25-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Doug, where did you get a thumb screw pushrod to replace your turnbuckle one? The Adams mechanism is similar to the old Sterling mechanism, and it's the worst trigger I've ever experienced. I'd like to try a similar upgrade!
    --
    Barry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast