Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year Surprise from Wessex Tubas!

1. New Year Surprise from Wessex Tubas!

Here is preview of another new model on its way from Wessex Tubas, expected available mid-2018, although we will have sample for exhibiting at US Army Conference (Washington DC) and TMEA in February.

It is a Euphonium Duplex - a two bell euphonium, the second bell providing a trombone (or some people think baritone) like tone - so you can effectively play a duel with yourself, or if playing with band can emit two contrasting tones from the one instrument. These were very popular in USA in the past, but have not been in production for 50 years until now. What makes the Wessex EP105 so special is it is the first fully compensating Duplex.

The euphonium side is based on the EP104 Festivo, so it plays equally great, but the 4th valve is on the left hand together with the switch valve (from euphonium to trombone bell). Euphonium bell is 12 inches (against 11” on Festivo), while trombone bell is 8½inches.

The trombone bell is detachable, so the EP105 can be played as regular euphonium too when required.

Look out for further announcement with exact release date, pricing and high resolution photos of production horn.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C3CD11B-6FEC-4BC9-A24F-1272142DDAAD.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	5753
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Neat looking horn!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Well, I'll be damned! A double-bell that should play in tune!

DDG

Looking forward to owning one Jonathan, excellent idea !!!

Oh! My! GOODNESS!!!!!

That's one that I HAVE to buy! I posted several years ago that I wish someone would talk the Chinese into making a double-bell euph. Dream come true, Wessex!
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Thanks for the sneak peek, Jonathan! I found it interesting that you went the extra mile to make a compensating version. That might make it more practical for someone trying to use just the one horn for everything. How much does it weigh compared to the Festivo? And how much with the second bell removed?

It was also interesting to see that the 2nd bell was so large. But I see its throat is still pretty narrow. Does that give ample contrast between the sound of the two bells?

It's surely going to create a stir!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. I almost bought a double bell about a year ago but

was afraid it would weigh a lot more than my 6 pound Yamaha 621s baritone. I'm also quite interested in the weight of the Wessex double bell.

LittleJimmy

8. I will weigh when back at my store (currently with my wife on vacation in China). The trombone bell is smaller on production version against this prototype.

This Duplex has been quite a long time coming. We have been tweeking for the last year to get just right before going into production. I am lucky that Wessex has the resources of the largest brass factory in the world which for Wessex as their biggest customer (and partner), they will do virtually anything we require. There are more exciting euphonium developments in progress during 2018.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 01-02-2018 at 02:53 AM.

This is really cool. I want one!

Jonathan -- since there is some problem and I never get emails from you, is there a number I can call you at? I'd like to take you up on your previous offer of new top valve caps for my Wyvern to solve the whistling issue. It turns out to be a lot more trouble than I had anticipated to just enlarge the holes in mine.
    --
    Barry

10. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    This is really cool. I want one!

Jonathan -- since there is some problem and I never get emails from you, is there a number I can call you at? I'd like to take you up on your previous offer of new top valve caps for my Wyvern to solve the whistling issue. It turns out to be a lot more trouble than I had anticipated to just enlarge the holes in mine.
    Barry, I have not seen any emails from you, so don’t know what is happening there. I am in China now, so not good to call. I suggest you email Andy Loree at Wessex USA (Wessex.usa@gmail.com) and he will forward me your email, if can’t help himself.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast