Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clueless Mom looking for a euphonium for daughter

1. That's great to hear. Took me back to my high school.

Be Well! KKORO

I try to stay out of purchasing advice because my personal preference as to sound and tone quality differs from many on the forum. One of the problems that those of us wishing to purchase a new horn is the ability to find a place that one can try out the actual instrument before buying. You obviously found the Wessex and liked the instrument. I did the same thing in high school and just played one horn and liked it and still have that horn today. The euphonium was made in 1963 and still in good shape. I had never heard of a Besson and my parents bought from one of the stores who came to the school. As hindsight, I wish I had been savoy enough or the band director should have helped me go into Philadelphia a test what was available. I did try a new horn that was recommended on the forum and bought it with a return option. I liked the horn as it played well but returned it after comparison with another horn I own by others in in a large church sanctuary. It did cost to ship it back and get a refund but it was a wise decision on my part. What I am saying is that buying a horn today is problematic. Dillon Music in New Jersey is one of the few music stores that stocks a lot of instruments and brands. There is a whole room devoted to trombones. It's amazing.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Quote Originally Posted by BDeisinger View Post
    I try to stay out of purchasing advice because my personal preference as to sound and tone quality differs from many on the forum. One of the problems that those of us wishing to purchase a new horn is the ability to find a place that one can try out the actual instrument before buying. You obviously found the Wessex and liked the instrument. I did the same thing in high school and just played one horn and liked it and still have that horn today. The euphonium was made in 1963 and still in good shape. I had never heard of a Besson and my parents bought from one of the stores who came to the school. As hindsight, I wish I had been savoy enough or the band director should have helped me go into Philadelphia a test what was available. I did try a new horn that was recommended on the forum and bought it with a return option. I liked the horn as it played well but returned it after comparison with another horn I own by others in in a large church sanctuary. It did cost to ship it back and get a refund but it was a wise decision on my part. What I am saying is that buying a horn today is problematic. Dillon Music in New Jersey is one of the few music stores that stocks a lot of instruments and brands. There is a whole room devoted to trombones. It's amazing.
    You bring up a good point, it is hard to find a way to test a lot of different instruments. Dillion's in New Jersey and Schmidt Music in Minneapolis have a large collection of trombones to try. I've not found a place for euphonium or tuba. You can test in "Elephant rooms" at conferences, but that is really hard with all the other testers. If you can find other players in your area, you can sometimes try their horn. Again spotty, but possible. Where you play a horn has a lot to do with how it sounds too. That adds to the complexity.

Last I saw, Tuba Exchange has a bunch of tubas. Not sure about euphoniums, but they often list some. When I went up there (45 minutes from me) a couple of years ago to try a Packer bass trombone, they had only a few Packer horns and no bass trombone. This was something of a surprise to Packer, with whom I had previously communicated concerning availability. Tuba players are often happy to let you try their horns (especially with kids/students), and I think for a student a nearby university department might let him/her try out one of the school instruments. I know that when UNC/Greensboro was still doing the Tuba Christmas event, they would offer to provide you with a school horn when you walked in the door if you didn't have one. Sometimes you just have to ask, and it may be difficult to think of whom to ask, and the variety may be limited. In that case, a road trip to some fairly far away location may be necessary.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

mute

I chuckled when you mentioned the mute, for your daughter, AND the neighbors...

I recently pulled out my '81 Yamaha YEP-201 and have been enjoying playing again....the neighbors maybe not so much....

I got a Yamaha Silent Brass System, everybody is happy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123