Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButYMom
    • Dec 2017

Thank you for all of your insight. Following the advice here and a little nudge from a friend we tried a new Besson 687, Besson Intermediate horn and a used Sterling this week. Then we were able to make the trip to Michigan yesterday (long 12 hour day - lake effect snow) and we came home with a Wessex Dolce. She is ecstatic! What an experience it was. We arrived at a warehouse and were met by Andy. She tried 4 horns and fell in love with the third one. We left for lunch to "talk things over" and she barely ate, she was so excited. We returned to purchase the horn and were treated to an amazing opportunity to play some very unique instruments. She tried a Travel (Tornister) Euphonium ‘Maly’ and a double bell euphonium. it was so much fun and we learned a lot from Andy about the history of not only this brand but lots of other great information. ! I have to say that after so much research and confusion on my part the very clear direction from this forum was appreciated. I am sure she will be happy with this horn and for the price it by no means has to be her "final" euphonium. I also think the very reasonable reminder that high school students are still kids helped make the decision easier. My husband was quick to remind us that over the years there have been a number of OOOPS visits to have a kid related accident banged out of the bell of a horn, ours or the school's. Even the most mature responsible student is still a kid, is surrounded by kids and will likely test the strength of the instrument and their parent's patience, sometimes it is just good to be reminded - so thank you. And finally last evening i also realized that the MUTE i had given her on Christmas Day was a really great gift................for me and our neighbors! Being able to play her new euphonium late into the night without complaint from the rest of us was great!
    Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate the direction! She is one happy kid - practicing again this morning!

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Congratulations! Glad you got a new horn for your daughter - and didn’t break the bank. Sounds like you had a good time too. Many happy years of your daughter making good music.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

THANK YOU for sharing your story with such fine description! It was truly fun to read about the experience, and I'm glad the whole process worked out well for you. It really sounds like you are "in the right place" for now.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• enhite
          • May 2012

One suggestion that I would make is to give your new instrument a bath in the near future. This is to clean out any remaining manufacturing chemicals left in the horn, especially the "lapping compounds" used on the valves. Usually this means completely disassembling the instrument, being careful to put identify each valve to prevent mixing them up. Most people put a rubber mat in their bathtub (to prevent scratches), fill it with tepid water (never hot, as this might damage the lacquer) and some Dawn dish detergent and letting it soak. Then rinsing and reassembling. Most of us use "Pledge" furniture polish and a soft cloth to keep the finish shiny.
          Here are a couple of links on how some forum members clean their instruments (as well as advice on what not to do):
          http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...h#.WkfAMTdG3IU
          http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...2#.WkfBJTdG3IU
          A brush kit might make this process easier. Below is a link to one that is well like by many. Your local music/repair shop may have this or other brands: https://www.amazon.com/HWP-H-BSBA-Br...+baritone+horn

For more inspiration and education, the International Tuba and Euphonium Association is holding their regional conference in Ft. Wayne, Indiana in April, 2018. Here is the link:
          http://www.iteaonline.org/conference...2018_index.php
          There should be updates on artists and events as the date approaches.
          Hope some of this information helps.

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by enhite View Post
            One suggestion that I would make is to give your new instrument a bath in the near future. ... Usually this means completely disassembling the instrument, being careful to put identify each valve to prevent mixing them up. Most people put a rubber mat in their bathtub (to prevent scratches), fill it with tepid water (never hot, as this might damage the lacquer) and some Dawn dish detergent and letting it soak....
            That's good advice, but let me advise caution in one area. Once taken apart, the main body of the instrument is obviously open in a lot of place and would not hold as much water as when assembled. BUT it can still be pretty heavy when you add the water to the large branch (that part after the tuning slide, going toward the bell). Also, it will be wet and may be particularly slippery because of the Dawn! So handle carefully because it is heavy, and be very alert because as you move it, the water can move inside and suddenly change the weight distribution. I suppose wearing rubber gloves might help grip it better.

(I say this because I dented my Coast Guard marching horn when cleaning it, for the very reasons I described above.)
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• KKORO
              • Dec 2015

That's great to hear. Took me back to my high school.

Be Well! KKORO

Comment

• BDeisinger
                • Jan 2015

I try to stay out of purchasing advice because my personal preference as to sound and tone quality differs from many on the forum. One of the problems that those of us wishing to purchase a new horn is the ability to find a place that one can try out the actual instrument before buying. You obviously found the Wessex and liked the instrument. I did the same thing in high school and just played one horn and liked it and still have that horn today. The euphonium was made in 1963 and still in good shape. I had never heard of a Besson and my parents bought from one of the stores who came to the school. As hindsight, I wish I had been savoy enough or the band director should have helped me go into Philadelphia a test what was available. I did try a new horn that was recommended on the forum and bought it with a return option. I liked the horn as it played well but returned it after comparison with another horn I own by others in in a large church sanctuary. It did cost to ship it back and get a refund but it was a wise decision on my part. What I am saying is that buying a horn today is problematic. Dillon Music in New Jersey is one of the few music stores that stocks a lot of instruments and brands. There is a whole room devoted to trombones. It's amazing.
                B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
                Wessex Festivo
                B&S PT37-S
                Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
                Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Comment

• opus37
                  • Jul 2015

Originally posted by BDeisinger View Post
                  I try to stay out of purchasing advice because my personal preference as to sound and tone quality differs from many on the forum. One of the problems that those of us wishing to purchase a new horn is the ability to find a place that one can try out the actual instrument before buying. You obviously found the Wessex and liked the instrument. I did the same thing in high school and just played one horn and liked it and still have that horn today. The euphonium was made in 1963 and still in good shape. I had never heard of a Besson and my parents bought from one of the stores who came to the school. As hindsight, I wish I had been savoy enough or the band director should have helped me go into Philadelphia a test what was available. I did try a new horn that was recommended on the forum and bought it with a return option. I liked the horn as it played well but returned it after comparison with another horn I own by others in in a large church sanctuary. It did cost to ship it back and get a refund but it was a wise decision on my part. What I am saying is that buying a horn today is problematic. Dillon Music in New Jersey is one of the few music stores that stocks a lot of instruments and brands. There is a whole room devoted to trombones. It's amazing.
                  You bring up a good point, it is hard to find a way to test a lot of different instruments. Dillion's in New Jersey and Schmidt Music in Minneapolis have a large collection of trombones to try. I've not found a place for euphonium or tuba. You can test in "Elephant rooms" at conferences, but that is really hard with all the other testers. If you can find other players in your area, you can sometimes try their horn. Again spotty, but possible. Where you play a horn has a lot to do with how it sounds too. That adds to the complexity.

Comment

• ghmerrill
                    • Dec 2011

Last I saw, Tuba Exchange has a bunch of tubas. Not sure about euphoniums, but they often list some. When I went up there (45 minutes from me) a couple of years ago to try a Packer bass trombone, they had only a few Packer horns and no bass trombone. This was something of a surprise to Packer, with whom I had previously communicated concerning availability. Tuba players are often happy to let you try their horns (especially with kids/students), and I think for a student a nearby university department might let him/her try out one of the school instruments. I know that when UNC/Greensboro was still doing the Tuba Christmas event, they would offer to provide you with a school horn when you walked in the door if you didn't have one. Sometimes you just have to ask, and it may be difficult to think of whom to ask, and the variety may be limited. In that case, a road trip to some fairly far away location may be necessary.
                    Gary Merrill
                    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• barqyspaniel
                      • Apr 2018

mute

I chuckled when you mentioned the mute, for your daughter, AND the neighbors...

I recently pulled out my '81 Yamaha YEP-201 and have been enjoying playing again....the neighbors maybe not so much....

I got a Yamaha Silent Brass System, everybody is happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X