X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miketeachesclass
    • Feb 2016

Methodology for evaluating mouthpieces

I'm curious what everyone does when evaluating mouthpieces. I'm sure quite a few of us have a... collection.

When evaluating one mouthpiece against another, either when you feel one isn't working for you anymore, or you change other parts of your equipment, or simply trying something new, what do you do as a part of this routine to avoid selection/confirmation bias?
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band
  • ghmerrill
    • Dec 2011

Not sure you can avoid it entirely, human nature being what it is.

1. Have a clear idea in mind (and perhaps a list) of what you're looking for -- in terms of both "improvements" and things you want to avoid.
    2. Try to avoid trialing just one mouthpiece at a time. Get several all at once if possible and compare them at the same time.
    3. If you have experience with a number of mouthpieces, you may know some specific features or parameters that you need or that you don't want to stray from. This can save you a lot of time trying things that just won't work. For example, I KNOW that I won't be happy with a tuba mouthpiece with larger than a 32mm diameter. Similarly, I know that 28mm is about my maximum diameter on a bass trombone mouthpiece.
    4. Record yourself and compare the results. However, it's important to do this in different venues since playing in a closet/practice room will sound a lot different from playing in a symphony hall.
    5. Have other people (whom you can depend on for useful and accurate evaluations) listen to you and tell you what they think.
    6. Try to do "blind" tests. Sometimes it's possible to put several mouthpieces out of sight on a table behind you, mix them up with eyes closed, then pick each in turn without looking while you play several particular pieces (recording each as well). If you have an accomplice, this can be a lot easier.
    7. Pay attention to how it FEELS and how easy/hard it is to do things with it (play high, play low, play loudly, play softly).
    8. Always ask yourself "Is this really different enough to switch? Am I getting out of it what I really want?"
    9. Realize that there will be trade-offs.
    10. Realize that you may need to make a change to a mouthpiece that is less comfortable and "easy" for you, but will be better as you work with it. This is particularly true in cases where the change may result in an initial loss of range -- which you'll get back with practice and embouchure development. But this is often a difficult call.

I most recently went through this in changing from my DE Medium Bass trombone mouthpiece to a Large Bass. That change in itself was pretty quick and was pretty much like "Aha!" as soon as I tried the LB. However, I spent WEEKS deciding between the K8 shank and the K9 shank. It was mostly "The K8 is easier to play, but the K9 gives me THE SOUND." Given that I'm an amateur playing mostly in community bands, isn't it just smarter to use the one that's more "efficient" (i.e., easier to play)? Why go to the one that will require more effort, and particularly in the high range when I need to play those wretched 2nd parts? But in the end, the answer was to go with what makes the best music and then work to get the rest. So the K9 it was. A few months later, I'm really happy with that decision.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• mbrown
      • Mar 2014

This is good stuff! I have used parts of it and there's some new ideas for me... One thing I had to do was stop listening to others telling me what I should be using and use the one I liked the best.

Comment

• graeme
        • Jun 2009

These videos might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WwAPjODXM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGzypKfqiaM

Comment

• BrandonJones
          • Feb 2008

For me, I generally base it "mostly" on physical comfort. If I'm going to be playing 4-5 hours or more per day and doing any "heavy" playing, the rim/cup/backbore combination has to be comfortable to me. I generally tend to ultimately sound like "me" on any piece that I play on. There are pros and cons to all sorts of things that one can have done to a mouthpiece these days. I have several friends to prefer a sharp/flat rim. I prefer a wider and more rounded rim. I know players that prefer the deepest cup they can possibly find, and others who like a shallower cup that sound great. If I find a mouthpiece that I feel "fits" the way I like to naturally play and it makes my playing easier (even up and down, no weird pitch tendencies such as flat upper register/etc), I gravitate toward it. I've played HUNDREDS of mouthpieces over the years, and I like many things about many of them. Mouthpieces are like shoes, really...
          Brandon Jones
          Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
          bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• ghmerrill
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BrandonJones View Post
            Mouthpieces are like shoes, really...
            Which echoes a remark of Oystein Baadsvik's in a master class I attended several years ago. He was asked about what mouthpiece he uses, and took the opportunity to shake his finger at tuba students who feel that "bigger is better", observing that many tuba players are using mouthpieces that are simply too big for them. Then, in response to a question about trying different mouthpieces, he offered that "Mouthpieces are like wives. Find one that's good and stick with it."
            Gary Merrill
            Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
            Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
            Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
            1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
            Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
            1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• BrandonJones
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
              "Mouthpieces are like wives. Find one that's good and stick with it."
              Yeah, that's a better way of saying it indeed...
              Brandon Jones
              Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
              bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X