Thread: The All Star Trombone Mouthpiece

1. The All Star Trombone Mouthpiece

Hi everyone. I'm a freshman currently looking for a new large shank mouthpiece.

-BACKGROUND-

This year, I started in my school's marching band, switching from french horn to marching baritone. Initially, I played on a large shank Yamaha 51d. However, partway through the season we began renting new baritones that required small shank mouthpieces, so I switched to a Jupiter mouthpiece, which seemed identical to the yamaha one. Towards regionals, I found a small-shank Yamaha 51d in the band room, which I began using. It helped me reach an A comfortably, which with my Jupiter was only an F. Turns out the Yamaha mouthpiece was someone elses, so I returned it.

Just before state, a repair guy came into our school, and gave my section leader this mouthpiece labeled ALL STAR -- TROMBONE. Since it was quite different from the one he had been using, he gave it to me. Not wanting to ruin our chances, I decided to wait to use the mouthpiece until next season.

After marching season, we began concert season. Because most euphoniums require large shank, I thought I wouldn't be able to use the ALL STAR. However, the only Euphonium we had left was a bell front, and it required a small shank, so I began using it. I really love this mouthpiece, as I can comfortably reach a B with it, and play a high F.

A few days ago, I got a JP 274 Euphoium. However, the included mouthpiece is quite big, and I am unable to reach even an E comfortably. Even worse, the ALL STAR mouthpiece doesn't fit in the euphonium, and my marching baritone was returned to the school with my old large shank mouthpiece in it.

I began researching the ALL STAR mouthpiece, and as far as I can tell, it's an old mouthpiece produced from the 1920s to 1950s, and there's no large shank version

-IDEAS-

1. Use a small shank to large shank adapter. I've heard they don't work well though

2. Retrieve my old large shank mouthpiece. This could work, but the mouthpiece was in pretty bad condition; there was mold in the backbore and it was dented

3. Get used to the pre-included mouthpiece. This might work, but I'm playing in the pit for the school musical in February, and I have to be able to reach a high C.

4. Buy a new mouthpiece. This is the one I was planning on doing. I've been looking at the Back 6 1/2 AL, Bach 5G, Dennis Wick 4/5/6 series, or the Steven Mead 3x/4x. However, I am generally ignorant about mouthpieces, and that's why I posted here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2245.JPG   IMG_2246.JPG   IMG_2247.JPG   IMG_2248.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Geckonavajo View Post
    4. Buy a new mouthpiece. This is the one I was planning on doing. I've been looking at the Back 6 1/2 AL, Bach 5G, Dennis Wick 4/5/6 series, or the Steven Mead 3x/4x. However, I am generally ignorant about mouthpieces, and that's why I posted here
    This is your best option. Faxx makes a clone of the Bach 6.5 AL which is good quality and very reasonably priced. The 6.5 AL has a 1.00" rim (25.4 mm), and that's the size that it sounds like you're most used to. The larger size mouthpieces will make it more difficult for you, initially, to hit the high notes. Note that the 1.02 (26 mm) size, such as the Dennis Wick 4AL or Steven Mead 4 series, is very popular.

You may also be able to find a used Bach 6.5 AL. I suggest staying away from unbranded mouthpieces, as you won't know the level of quality control.

Incidentally, I used my Bach 6.5 AL (small shank) on euphonium throughout college, and I still use it on trombone. I think it's a fine mouthpiece.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing