Thread: want to get back in - what to buy?

want to get back in - what to buy?

I played a King 2280 in middle school and high school. I was alright, but I have not touched a euphonium since. 20 years later I have kids starting to play instruments (cello and cornet) and I want to start playing again so I can play with them. My kid's school's band director offers lessons for adults, so I will probably do that. I will never be a pro, but maybe in a few years I will get good enough to play in a community band or something.

Is there any reason not to buy a new Wessex Dolce? is there something else I should consider? (I do not want to pay any more than what a new Wessex Dolce costs.)

I have never played a compensating euph before, so I don't know if I need that. But I was accustomed to using the 4th valve enough that I missed it when I occasionally played 3-valve instruments.

Go for it - especially as you will have a teacher to guide you. What a great opportunity you will have to play music with your kids.
    I hadn't played in 42 years before reacquainting myself with the euphonium. If you're not sure about what instrument to purchase, perhaps the band director could lend one or two for comparison (I rented an Amati, then tested a few horns, including a King, before settling on my B&H). Good luck!
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

The Dolce is good, but I think the Packer 274 is better. Talk to Joe sellmansberger at Mid south music. Last time I heard from him he had a demo model that he would sell for a great price

I was told that a Yamaha YEP-321 was a good "mid-model" that's good for intermediate players. 4-valve was desired, but I didn't want to spend the extra for a compensating instrument. It seems to be a very nice buy thus far. I played in high school, some community and concert band in college, + pep band and marching band. However, I didn't take any lessons, nor really practice. I may have access to someone who can teach. I've held off since what little I've managed to recover is working OK for community band, but I do wonder if I solidified too many bad habits.

I'd suggest taking up lessons. As for compensating, I don't have any experience with them. A practical advantage is you don't need to "translate" fingerings with the 4th valve. Just press it, and you go down an octave, vs. non-compensating has you memorize a different set of fingering. For example (treble cleff), F is 1, but low F with 4th is 124.

From my perspective there is no reason not to get a compensating horn if you find a good one you can afford, and significant advantages to doing this. The compensating euphs offered by Mack Brass, Wessex, Packer, and even Schiller offer great value, and I don't think you'd be disappointed in one of these at all. This forum is filled with testimonials to their capabilities.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Welcome back to brass playing. After retiring in 2013, I followed my dream of returning to euphonium after a 40 year absence. I was helped by a wonderful teacher and it wasn't as difficult as I feared. (Riding a bike?) I recommend "Remington Warm ups" for re-acclimating your embouchure.
    You should find good used euphoniums on Ebay, including King 2280s, Yamaha's, etc. Be sure to check this forum for comments on attributes on any models about which you are uncertain. Way back when, I experienced no problem with switching from my 3 valve school baritone to a 4 valve compensating model. Nowadays, I normally play a 4 valve compensating model but every summer I play a front bell, front 4-valve instrument for outside community band concerts (Conn 24i), without stressing my brain too much. I don't think you'll have much difficulty adapting to whatever instrument you pick. GOOD LUCK!

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. You simply do not need a compensating euph to play with your kids. I would look for a used 2280, Yamaha 321 or equivalent.

John

When I got back into playing I went with a new Schiller compensating euph and have been happy with it. In high school I played a 2280, but really have no recollection of how it played or sounded. However all of the positive things that can be found online about the 2280, on this forum and elsewhere, really make me want to play one again just for fun. And of course the 321's are also well received.

I think you would very likely be happy with a new Chinese compensating horn like the Wessex. If you were to find a used 2280 and play it you may find that it does everything you want and it sounds good to boot.

Was that helpful? Probably not, but enjoy playing again!