Thread: Proper etiquette in band or orchestra

Proper etiquette in band or orchestra

I read this on another forum and thought it worth sharing.

Band or Orchestra Etiquette:

- Any warming up onstage should be with consideration for your colleagues (and the audience!), i.e. refrain from playing at full volume. If you must play through something at full volume before the performance (especially brass), find a spot offstage.

- If your pre-rehearsal warmup routine consists of playing a flashy concerto, consider changing it to a routine that does not endanger your life, career, and friendships.

- Before concerts, limit (or preferably, eliminate) your "motivic practicing" (playing through passages of the piece about to be performed).

- Tuning should be done quickly and efficiently. You should have already checked your tuning with a tuner in advance, so any needed adjustments after the the tuning note will be minor. Refrain from unnecessary noodling during tuning.

- Be mindful that the audience can see you, even if you are in the back of the group. They will definitely notice if you yawn, look bored, or share a conspiratorial look with a colleague. It is more enjoyable for the audience when we look engaged with our performance.

- The bows are the time for us to allow the audience to show their appreciation. Show them mutual respect by facing them and SMILING! This is not the time to rearrange your music or talk to your colleagues.

- During solo bows, even if you are displeased with your performance, see above re smiling. Most groups do "progressive" solo bows, where players remain standing after their solo bow as the conductor recognizes other soloists, and eventually the entire group.

- If the conductor addresses you in rehearsal, make eye contact, and acknowledge that you understand any instructions you may be given.

- Do not tap your foot. Ever. It distracts those near you.

- Do not conduct along with the music. Not only is it distracting, conductors could interpret it as passive-aggressive behavior.

- Never cross your legs onstage during a performance.

- Questions to the conductor should be made by the principal of the section.

- Refrain from wearing perfume, cologne, Axe body spray, etc. during rehearsals and performances. Maintain good body hygiene (don't reek).
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. Another tip that seems obvious yet slips through the cracks is to refrain from constantly chatting to the person sitting next to you during rehearsal. I'm dealing with this issue in one of my band and it's maddening - although I do my best to be polite in order to keep the peace.

That's a great list (including jkircoff's addition)! Thanks.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    That's a great list (including jkircoff's addition)! Thanks.
    Thank you Dave. I can see chatter being more acceptable in a community band, but my situation is in a group that is audition-only that strives for excellence while playing high-grade selections.

Have you ever had to deal with a situation like this, and if so how did you and the band handle it?

Talking during rehearsals is indeed frustrating and disruptive. Sometimes our Dir. steps off the podium and says sternly, "...when ever you're done talking we'll continue". In our comm band the talking usually comes from the back two rows - trumpets and/or trombones. They insist that some talk is necessary to point something out - but it sure seems to me and others to be too often at times. Talking shows up as a complaint in the feedback submitted by members at the end of every single season.

Since our band's call time for a concert is 45 mins before a concert for 'mic check' and warm-up, we're off stage when the patrons are allowed to take their seats. When we take the stage, no playing is allowed except for the tune-up played by the oboe (concert F and Bb).
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Another tip that seems to be more pronounced these days - soloists up in front emptying water keys. The practice seems to be more of doing this rather surreptitiously or even to turn your back to the audience while dumping. God help you if you have to spin your horn to dump (as I do with my tuba from time to time).

Doesn't bother me personally, because I understand the need to "get rid of the gurgle" but the crowd that seems to be put off by dumping a slide or a water key hath spoken. Meh.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Perhaps each performance should be preceded with the "It's water condensation -- NOT SPIT" lecture.

Surprisingly, I have never seen this informative lesson alter anyone's attitude.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)