Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick horn rinse euphonium-lap-pad question

quick horn rinse euphonium-lap-pad question

I like the idea and there is a good review from a credible player and I'm about to pull the trigger, BUT, one question remains and I've not seen an answer anywhere...

Does this attach to the bottom of the instrument or to the lap? Or just sit on one's lap? I would kind of like something that I didn't have to worry about falling off my lap.... I have a yoga block with a large neoprene knee brace that wraps around the block and the bottom of the instrument that works pretty well, but it slides to the side sometimes and has to be adjusted... That's a little aggravating. I was hoping this would be more substantial.

Does someone make anything like I want?

It does not attach to either the horn or the player. But, I suppose that it could be altered by putting a couple of cuts in the bottom of the black cover and running some type of velcro belt through it that wraps around your leg, or do the same to the top and attach the velcro loop to the instrument.

I like being able to adjust it, though that might be due to slight OCD tendencies than through any real need to.

I remind myself of this Simpson's clip sometimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUTqW32gx9k

That's an idea, thank you....

As said, it does not attach, but the one side is finished with a fabric that is very tacky next to trousers fabric, and the other side is finished with a plastic that is very non-skid next to horn metal. My teacher tried mine, and he didn't like it, because he said it was too secure.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Bill Ricker with QHR does a nice job with his products. His Quick Horn Rinse works great. I've not tried his lap pillow.

I use my own pillow stuffed with polyester filling. It's a felt cloth bag with a drawstring to close (makes it easy to add stuffing when needed). I used to have trouble dropping the pillow from time to time until I saw Lance LaDuke playing with the River City Brass Band some time ago. He laid his horn down facing to the left with his right hand while moving the pillow up his thigh with his left hand so it's under the bell... one smooth motion. I've been doing it this way now for a few years. The only problem is if there's a eupher to your left who lays his horn down facing right, you may bump bells. Since I'm the left-most in the section, it works out well.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I just bought one. Love it; has made a big difference for me--much more comfortable. I find that it does not slide around at all. The texture of the material and the weight of the horn I think hold it in place.

--Chris

FYI, here's what I'm using. It's a 3/16" plywood board with waffle shelf lining on the underside and a 3/4" piece of closed cell foam on top. It's non-slip on the legs and for the bottom of the horn, and at the right height for me and the euph. Took maybe 20 minutes to make. Conveniently, it fits between the handle straps on top of my euph gig bag and so can be carried easily with the bag. I may or may not have designed it with this feature.

Wonder if I could get $45 for this. That would be a HUGE profit. And I could outsource the manufacturing (keeping control of quality, of course).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Euphpad1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	5687

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Euphpad2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	517.7 KB 
ID:	5688
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 12-06-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

8. I'm a big fan of Bill's lap pad. You certainly could make something similar yourself for less cost, but I think it's worth the money for the fact that it does the job as well as possible - the materials are really well thought out and I've yet to find trousers or instruments that slip. Also, while not meaning to detract from Gary's home made effort, the lap pad is a neat and unobtrusive bit of kit.
    Well worth the investment, especially for players who are taller than average or have long torso's in relation to legs. The mouthpipe heights on uncustomised instruments are at best an average, and the back is less tolerant to abuse with age.

I agree with all the compliments above. My QHR lap pad is in place every time I play sitting down...period! It is light, so I can tote it in my music bag easily. Stays in place; adjustable; water drops don't affect it; and I can toss it on my stand when I need to stand up, knowing it will stay there (vs. the towel roll I used to have that would usually fall off).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you, I'll look that up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast