Thread: Bonna as Backpack

1. Bonna as Backpack

Can anyone comment on how well the Marcus Bonna case works with the backpack straps? I am looking for a case option I can carry in backpack mode but still offers decent protection. If you could compare the Bonna to a bag like the Cronkhite or Altieri I would be greatly appreciative. Many thanks!

One of my students used his Bonna case on backpack straps all the time. He's a strong, tall guy, which helps, and I think he's still using it that way today.

If I were going to a conference by air, I would probably take my horn in the Bonna case and pack the straps for use at the event. It's better than carrying it!

That said, my Altieri bag is LOTS more comfortable as a backpack. It is lighter, and even more important, softer. But the Bonna is probably the best compromise for a travel case you can tote on your back.

If I were going to do that, I might buy one of those flat, rectangular swim boards that are made of semi stiff dense foam. I'd see if I could cut a couple slots for the straps and then use it to pad the case on my backbone. This is just a theoretical for now, but I may do some measurements next time I'm in a store with such products.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

For what it's worth, I actually just sold my MB case. I tried to fly with it this summer and it would not fit in Southwest's overheads, which are very generous. I was lucky enough that the flight attendants had room in their personal compartments both ways, but I have heard horror stories of gate-checked horns in the MB case getting severly damaged and would likely never fly with it again as a precaution.

I used an Altieri with my old horn, and that flew on planes in the overhead just fine and was always very protective. I even accidentally dropped it from my back with no damage to the instrument! I ordered a Cronkhite case, which I've heard is comfortable on the back and easily fits in overheads as well.

That being said, if I were doing any long travels where the instrument is not either above me in an overhead compartment or actually on my back, I would use a hard case. The MB looks great and the carbon fiber is nice, but it is heavier on the back than other gig bags/cases due to this.
    Jonah Zimmerman

Adams E1 Euphonium- SM4UX
    Yamaha Xeno 8820- Greg Black New York 5.5RW

Florida State University
    Graduate Teaching Assistant of Euphonium

Bachelor's of Music Education 2018
    Columbus State University

jonahzmusic@gmail.com