Some military band performances are under uncomfortable circumstances - no doubt about that. (Of course, to some extent that can be true for civilian gigs, too.) But some are much more rewarding. There are the musically-satisfying gigs, and I was lucky enough to have hundreds of those. But some are just plain fun, even if not musically satisfying.

For Bob Hope's 80th birthday in 1983 they had quite a show prepared for the Kennedy Center, including a great many A-list stars (George Burns, Sheena Easton, Loretta Lynn, etc.), the President of the United States, and all 5 military services' bands. The bands were all cut down in numbers so we could fit on the stage all at once. The Coast Guard Band had dual commitments for part of this. All but the dress rehearsal conflicted with the CG Academy commencement, for which they insist on having the band. So I went to D.C. myself and "stood in" for the group, making notes of all moves and considerations so I could update the rest of the group when they showed up for dress rehearsal.

In addition to the star-studded cast, a few of the rehearsals included the band's march-on and then went right into "Wonder Woman" Lynda Carter's first song. Her starting position was a few feet from me, so we chatted a bit while we were waiting around. She's a nice lady! Attached is the top part of the schedule page she autographed for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autograph Cipped.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	5668

And here is a few minutes of the opening sequence, including the bands and Lynda's first song (we are the last group to enter, from above the stage, and you'll notice I'm using my Besson baritone horn):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSGwvLmZLL4