Thread: Alliance mouthpieces

Alliance mouthpieces

I HAVE An Alliance E2 mouthpiece.
    I purchased in on the Trombone Forum. I was told this was a copy of the DW SM Ultra 3U
    It seems quite close to me .
    I have just been told by the by someone on The Trombone Forum that this was designed by D Childs as a "Suped Up" version of the DW 4AL
    and my posting is incorrect . It was not made as a copy of the DW SM 3U for Steven Mead when he left Denis Wick
    I know there are D Childs Models and the D2 is similar to my E2 at least in the rim dims.
    WHo designed these models of Euphonium mouthpieces?
    What is the background on the Alliance mouthpieces?
    BTW it is for sale here and on the TTF for $90 or $100 on Ebay
    Thanks, John

2. Quick history on Wick/Alliance mouthpiece development

Your data on the Alliance E2/E3 is somewhat mixed up. I am quite certain the following is true, having met and spoken with the principals while this was happening.

1. Prior to 2005 when Besson went into receivership and stopped production, the baseline from Wick was either the 3AL/4AL (or Heritage equivalent) and the SM3/SM4. Production of Wick mouthpieces stopped for awhile due to the Besson receivership.
    2. The Alliance E2/E3 "Prestige" model was designed for Steven Mead in 2006 after the original Besson bankruptcy. The E3 "Prestige" mouthpiece came stock with the early German-made Besson Sovereign and Prestige. Steven and Roger Webster (owner of Alliance) jointly promoted Alliance mouthpieces for a year or two.
    3. Production of Denis Wick mouthpieces restarted a bit after this (2008?). Steven came back to the Denis Wick brand with the introduction of the SM3U/SM4U "Ultra" which was a near copy of the Alliance Prestige mouthpiece. The SM3X/SM4X "Ultra X" came after that in order to improve some shortcomings in the Ultra.
    4. The Alliance DC2/DC3 "David Childs" signature mouthpiece was developed by Alliance for David shortly after the SM "Ultra" series hit the market. David was playing a York Eminence from later 2006 until York went under in 2009/2010. Most of that time he was playing the same Wick 4AL he started his career on. I was in Wales each summer with David from 2008 - 2011. During one of those summers he was playing on a prototype of the DC3.

Regards sizing of Alliance mouthpieces vs. Wick
    - An Alliance "2" is quivalent top a Wick "3". An Alliance "3" is equivalent to a Wick "4". Therefore, Dave Childs plays the Alliance DC3. An Alliance DC2 or E2 would be most equivalent to a Wick 3AL, SM3, SM3U, SM3X.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

THanks "Daruby" for the very Informative response to my post.