Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Morgan
    • Apr 2014

Well, I have owned or currently own both of the cases in question, the Miraphone M5050 hard case and the Marcus Bonna case (for my Adams, for the M5050, you would need the XL version of the Marcus Bonna case).

I owned a Miraphone M5050 for a couple years about three years ago. My first impression of the hard case left me feeling unhappy with it. It seemed (not only seemed, but for sure was ) really hard to "stuff" the horn in the case to get it closed. Over time I came to like that feature, but it put me off at first. I don't like the blue interior which if it gets any moisture on it looks shabby. One thing I really don't like is that it has a metal binding/lip all the way around the top and bottom sections of the case. If you aren't careful putting your horn away or getting it out, you can bang your horn into this metal strip. I never got to liking that. When I had this case, I longed for what I thought the much better case was, a Yamaha hard case. After having the horn for a couple years, I must admit, the case did the job, never had any issues with it (other than I had to be careful with the metal lip), and I got used to stuffing the horn inside. It seems pretty sturdy and had wheels so you could lift one end and roll it. Worked fairly well.

I have had the Marcus Bonna case (and my Adams euphonium) for 2 1/2 years now. This case is very compact (I like that). It is also quite light. It has a pocket on the outside for music and other sundries (very nice and it is removable also). There is room on the inside for mouthpieces (at least a couple) and valve oil, grease, etc. There are some pads you can move around to better secure the horn. Plus there is a strap that goes around the bottom bow to securely hold the horn in place in the case and keep the bell from ramming into the bell end of the case. I really like this case.

With either case, I would never put them in checked luggage. In fact, I would never put any horn I own in checked luggage. Just me, I suppose, but there isn't a case made that can sustain every type of potential damage that could occur in the belly of an airplane or getting it in and out of that belly. Unless the case is some military grade, reinforced, monstrosity that would cost a fortune to buy and ship.

Both cases seem to be quality made, but the Bonna is definitely more stylish. I suspect both will wear well. Both protect very well, if you are interested in getting to and from rehearsals and gigs in your car.

If I had to pay the $750 for a Bonna and $500 for a M5050 case (that would fit my Adams), I would spend the $750 and get a Bonna.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 12-11-2018, 07:46 PM. Reason: I can't spell!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• guidocorona
      • Jun 2018

Thank you John for the additional information. As I am very slightly accident prone, the metal lips of the Miraphone hard case would concern me somewhat. Conversely, the retension strap for the bottom bow on the Bonna XL seem quite useful.

So, if and when my currently appalling euphmanship evolves into something that would let me justify the acquisition of an Miraphone 5050 with SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed *Rolls Eyes!*), I will definitely look into the Bonna XL.

Hmmmm... I am now wondering how Miraphone protects 5050 from damage in shipment when customers order a variant without case.

Regards, Guido
      M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
      Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
      Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• djwpe
        • Dec 2008

John has it exactly right. I have used the Miraphone hard case three times. Once picking up each horn from Dillon, and once to deliver one I sold to its new owner.

I do think the Miraphone case is probably more protective than the Bonna, it's just awkward to use.

The Bonna case is wearable as a backpack, while the Miraphone case has no straps.

Don

Comment

• guidocorona
          • Jun 2018

Wow... Thank you again Don and all for all this excellent information....
          I have seen mention of Altieri making 5050-compatible cases on this board...
          Does anyone have any experience with the Altieri case per chance?

Regards, Guido

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by guidocorona View Post
            I have seen mention of Altieri making 5050-compatible cases on this board...Does anyone have any experience with the Altieri case per chance?
            I have an Altieri, although I use my Bonna case most of the time now. When I go to the next ITEC I'll bring the Altieri (I will drive there, so I don't need to worry about baggage handlers - except for myself!). At at conference a gig bag is a lifesaver.

The Altieri is not the ultimate in protection, but it does a good job and is well made. The fabric does not attract lint, like some other fabric cases do - a plus! The Altieri may be the ultimate in convenience. Nice back straps or a shoulder strap if you like. VERY easy in and out actions, so you aren't as likely to accidentally bump it or drop it or scratch anything. I can keep it next to me during rehearsals and easily pop the horn into it for breaks. (Protects the horn AND helps keep it warm)
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• guidocorona
              • Jun 2018

Thank you Dave, the report of your experience on Altieri is very much appreciated!

Regards, Guido

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

I just added a Miraphone gig bag to the For Sale section. Good chance to save some money!

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...honium-Gig-Bag
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                YouTube: dwerden
                Facebook: davewerden
                Twitter: davewerden
                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
                X