Thread: HEADS-UP! Nice 3-Valve Compensating Besson for Sale

Thumbs up HEADS-UP! Nice 3-Valve Compensating Besson for Sale

This horn looks very nice! Photos are a bit grainy, but I think it is satin silver with bright accents. It has the medium shank and includes a hard case. Starting bid is $999 and the Buy-it-Now price is $1,290. Shipping is only $50. If it were me I would not mess around - these are great horns for many uses!

SOLD FOR $990 - NICE!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-Euphonium-3-valve-compensating-New-Standard/202111581765

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	5630 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	5631 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	5632
    Last edited by davewerden; 11-29-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I am tempted by it... Is this model still in production? The tech that does my tubas keeps advising me to be careful on the older Besson stuff because sometimes the parts are sort of difficult to find.

I don't think this model is in production, which is partly why people are often eager to jump at such an offer. It's a way to get the magic of the old Besson sound without spending as much (or carrying around as much) as a 4-valve version.

Parts are not any more of a problem for the 3-valve horns than for 4-valve horns. And the typical replacement parts are generally easy enough to get (springs, felts, guides, etc.). If you lost a valve cap or something that can be more trouble, but there are a lot of these horns around and there is a British supplier who is often quite helpful:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...390-U-K-Dawkes

Also keep in mind that some folks have complained loudly about getting small replacement parts for brand-new horns of various brands, so I don't see it as much of a worry.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Did someone here get this one?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

New person here. Picked this up. I played this model in high school and always missed it after switching to a new Yamaha for college. I haven't played in 10 years, and I had just decided to pick up a flugelhorn when I saw the listing and your post.

The euph is in good condition though it has some... airiness (?) from low D to B-natural. I can't yet tell how much of this is just that I haven't rebuilt my chops/air support. Will play for a month so and take it to a local shop if it persists.

Getting over a cold when the horn arrived, but now with a little under a week, it otherwise plays well and am very much enjoying it.

Welcome to the forum! It's nice to know who got the horn. I hope your chops come along quickly and that the horn proves to be good. If the airiness persists, I would see what a repair tech says. A good cleaning and new felts (to properly align the valves) could do wonders.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thanks! My wonder is in part that it does have big new felts but they haven't been worn in enough to properly align things. Regardless, it's degrees not total rework (i think). I'm very excited that the horn is playing mostly alright and with a good BIG sound in the mid and higher register.