X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Holst Second Suite in F - March

As part of our last concert we played one of my favorite pieces - Holst Second Suite in 'F' for Military Band - Gustav Holst. It's been seven years since I played it last but I think I did okay. I tried to observe articulations as written with 8 measure phrases and not slurring but using legato tonguing as Fredrick Fennell suggested. This is just an excerpt:

Holst (March) Euph solo:
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
  • highpitch
    • Mar 2006

Again Rick, wonderful.

Dennis

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Good job, Rick! The balance was very good, which is not always easy. For me it depended a lot on where I sat in the band and where my bell was pointed. How we you situated during this performance?

We were sometimes a little to the conductor's right-of-center in the CG Band, which had our bells pointing back a bit. So for solos like this one (if I had the solo memorized) I would turn my body so the bell was pointing forward a bit, and that seemed to help me get out to the audience. Of course I could not watch the conductor that way, but for short solos that was not a problem.

You played with more separation that I use on that solo. I like the smoothness of the slurs I use, but in the original song this is based on, there was a word or syllable on each note, so separation makes sense, now that I think about it. Food for thought!
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• RickF
        • Jan 2006

Thanks Dennis and Dave.

The 3 euphs are in the third row right of Director's center and to the right of the horns. I sit to the left of the other two euphs so next to the 4th horn (there are actually 6 horns). I have this solo memorized but when played from memory I sometimes forget to use 3rd valve for concert 'G'... which I need to use for the M5050 for proper pitch.

I always thought that when I memorized music that I pictured the notes on the staff. Evidentally it's muscle memory in my case.
        Rick Floyd

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by RickF View Post
          I always thought that when I memorized music that I pictured the notes on the staff. Evidentally it's muscle memory in my case.
          Interesting. I THINK in my case it is a combination of the two, plus some mentally-noted interval relationships mixed in (i.e. "the next two notes are part of a major arpeggio" or "the next note is down a 5th" etc.).
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Euph Loosh
            • Aug 2016

Bravo!!
            Euph Loosh
            Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
            MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

Comment

• John Morgan
              • Apr 2014

Very nice job, Rick. It seems that piece comes around about every 4 or 5 years for me. Sure is a nice one. I think this is the piece where I learned to be able to consistently hit the G note on my horn. In fact, when I play a G on other pieces, I frequently think about what that note feels like and sounds like on the Holst solo. I tend to play this solo more like Dave describes as well, with a more flowing and slurred rendition, but your presentation is equally nice and interesting. Too bad Holst didn't write way more pieces for euphonium solos.
              John Morgan
              The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
              Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
              1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
              Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
              Year Round Except Summer:
              Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
              KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
              Summer Only:
              Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
              Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• RickF
                • Jan 2006

Thanks John. Yes I really like Holst's writing too.

You, know I've played this solo for 3 or 4 different directors and all of them said they liked it with less sluring. Playing with Fred Dart's band was my first experience with Holst 2. One Dir said, 'after all it is a march'.
                Rick Floyd

Comment

• davewerden
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2005

You, know I've played this solo for 3 or 4 different directors and all of them said they liked it with less sluring. Playing with Fred Dart's band was my first experience with Holst 2. One Dir said, 'after all it is a march'.
                  I like it both ways, now that I have heard your alternative. This gets back to the age-old discussion of notation limitations. Suppose Holst wanted it slurred, as I usually play it - he would have written it just as he did. And suppose he wanted it more separated but with a sense of overall line as Rick played it - he still might have written it just as he did! I've seen plenty of examples where a longer slur is obviously not intended as a true slur, but rather as a phrasing mark. In some cases you'll see "sub-slurs" underneath, where a couple of 1/8 notes might be slurred even though they already sit beneath a two-measure slur. That implies (strongly) that the overall slur is not a slur-slur but is a phrase-slur.

Of course if your directors say they like the separated version better, that is a good reason to go that way! One could envision a problem if you had a euphonium player with a strong ego who wanted it one way and a conductor who wanted it another way. Then we get into a different philosophical discussion: does a 32-bar solo within a piece give the player editorial rights over and above conductor, vs. a player who is standing out front playing an entire solo who may have ideas different from the conductor. But that is a topic for a different thread - we don't want to hijack this one.
                  Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                  Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• jkircoff
                    • Jan 2013

Beautiful Rick! Very well done!
                    James Kircoff
                    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
                    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
                      • Jun 2018

Revisiting this thread as we are doing this piece this year. And I realised I've been treating the line as a slur all these while! Very good tips here and on Mr. Werden's video
                      "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
                      Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• RickF
                        • Jan 2006

Carlyle Weber of the US Army Field Band many years ago demonstrated how one might play this popular solo three different ways. One with just an okay sound, one with projection and vibrato, and the third using legato tonguing. This video was uploaded in 2012 but pretty sure it’s at least 25 yrs old. Carlyle played with the Field Band for 23 years and has been retired at least 20 yrs I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RR-DUJv6cs&t=40m35s
                        Rick Floyd

Comment

• Renbo
                          • Feb 2022

Good stuff!

Carlyle Weber of the US Army Field Band many years ago demonstrated how one might play this popular solo three different ways. One with just an okay sound, one with projection and vibrato, and the third using legato tonguing. This video was uploaded in 2012 but pretty sure it’s at least 25 yrs old. Carlyle played with the Field Band for 23 years and has been retired at least 20 yrs I think.
                          Amazing how different techniques lead to such different sounds.

Comment

Working...
                          X