Thread: Leather Guards for Sterling Virtuoso

Leather Guards for Sterling Virtuoso

Does anyone have suggestions regarding leather guards for a Sterling Virtuoso? I checked out LSCO, but they don't have compatible guards. I emailed them, but I have not heard back. Thanks!
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director
    Solo Euphonium, Five Lakes Metro Brass Band

Besson Prestige 2052 (Gold)
    Shires Q41S (Medium Shank)

Quote Originally Posted by bdawley81 View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions regarding leather guards for a Sterling Virtuoso? I checked out LSCO, but they don't have compatible guards. I emailed them, but I have not heard back. Thanks!
    My experience with them has been that they are sometimes slow in responding to emails. In my case, they did not have guards for a Mack Brass horn, and they had me send photos. They suggested one set of guards (which didn't fit), and I decided to risk ordering the Yamaha guards (which did fit; the Jin Bao horns start with the Yamaha design). They will also custom-make guards for you, and they give instructions in how to create paper templates that you can send to them.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

3. I have a 2007 Sterling Virtuoso, but I don't believe the layout of the braces has changed that much. I have Besson Imperial leather guards from LSCO and while there is a little bit of manipulating neccessary to get them on (particularly the 3rd valve slide guard), they stay on comfortably and have saved me the pain of polishing the spots I often touch. Pics attached of how they fit-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171119_125338.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	5666

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171119_125204.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.87 MB 
ID:	5667
    Thomann EP 902SL Superior Euphonium

Eastman Shires ETB432G Trombone

I have bought craft leather from Jo Ann fabrics with the idea to fabricate leather guards by making my own pattern. Make sure that 100% cotton felt is used to line the leather as leather shouldn't come in contact with the finish, being lacquer or plate. I've also purchased some cord to match to tie this to the horn. I've only done one area so far and has worked well. I don't think it's that hard of a task because we musicians tend to be creative. Another thought to make sure the adhesive binding the liner and leather doesn't bleed through the leather or felt. Oh I forgot to mention, one needs to punch holes at the seams to run the leather cord through.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

is there a version of these that is adaptable for any instrument?