Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Do We Make Fun of Saxophone Players

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Why Do We Make Fun of Saxophone Players

Why do we bash saxophone players? Especially in concert band, many times the euph/bari part is scored along with the tenor sax to give extra texture, especially on a counter-melody. I rely on the tenor sax player in my community band to blend and bring out these parts as indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by iiipopes View Post
    Why do we bash saxophone players?
    Short answer? Frustration.

Now, let me preface the long answer by saying that a good saxophonist in a concert band is worth their weight in gold. With that said, there are a few factors that often lead low brass feeling frustrated by saxophones in the concert band:

Tuning: Of the woodwinds, the saxes often have the worst tuning issues. Between being a unified body (no joint to adjust in the middle of the keywork) and all the tone holes having pads (limiting the adjustments possible with fingerings), more of the burden of playing the saxophone in tune falls on the saxophonist's ear, air, and embouchure. In the amateur music world, this can mean that certain players tune very well while others have little ability to correct the pitch of the instrument.

In addition, the tuning tendencies of the saxophone do not line up with those of the euphonium. When a sax plays a note sharp that our instrument wants to play flat, it is that much tougher to match their pitch.

Different musical backgrounds: A significant number of saxophonists come to the concert band with a primarily big band background. Where a low brass player has a primarily concert band background, this can lead to mismatches in rhythmic and dynamic interpretation, articulations, and sound concept that are frustrating.

One of the key factors in being able to play together in an ensemble is being able to predict how others are going to interpret the music and match them. When a "jazzer" comes into the mix on classical repertoire, they can feel like a wild card to the players around them. Often times, the jazzer is a saxophonist. (Other times it can be a trumpeter, trombonist, or percussionist.)

This issue also informs the two below.

Blend: Acoustically, the saxophone can be a challenging instrument to blend with. The complex overtone structure and distinctive timbre mean that a low brass player can only go so far in blending with a saxophone. This is opposed to combinations like horn and euphonium, where the tone colors are so close that blending is easy, or euphonium and clarinet at the unison, where the overtone structures align in a way that allows the euphoniumist to blend without the other player doing much to help.

To achieve the blended sound expected in much concert band literature, the saxophonist has to manage his own tone color in partnership with the brass player. Good concert band saxophonists are very attuned to this and can make unison and octave doublings very easy for the brass. Bad concert band saxophonists, especially those coming from a jazz background, don't moderate their sound, leading the brass to feel like they're being played over.

Adaptability: In the average concert band, the saxophone sees fewer lines and parts written explicitly for them than just about any other instrument. While most instruments (including euphoniums) have to deal with the dreaded "string part" in transcriptions, the saxophone is so often used as a coloring or doubling instrument that they get comparatively little idiomatic music in the concert band. As such, they are required to be endlessly adaptable and aware of their role in the ensemble at all times. Combine this with the acoustic distinctiveness of the saxophone timbre, and even a good saxophone player can very easily appear to be playing insensitively in the concert band.

When players come from the jazz band tradition, this adaptability can be a completely foreign concept, since the jazz band saxophone has one of the most strongly defined roles in the group. Ensemble listening is a skill like any other; it takes time and coaching to build.

Frequency of interaction: Musically, the low brass in the concert band will be asked to tune to and blend with saxophones more frequently than any other group in the woodwinds. They are the primary woodwind resident of the pitch range we call home, so we run into them frequently. Surely, some low brass frustration with the saxes comes simply from having to deal with them so often. If we had to blend and tune with the flutes more than half the time, low brass players would probably be a little frustrated with them too.

What does all of this mean? Being a saxophonist in the concert band is hard. While low brass players might like to vent about those darn saxes, it would be more productive to understand the issue and approach our woodwind counterparts with some sympathy for being dealt one of the toughest roles in the concert band. And, if you have good musical partners in the saxophone section, appreciate how lucky you are.
    Last edited by adrian_quince; 11-04-2017 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Quote Originally Posted by adrian_quince View Post
    Short answer? Frustration.

Now, let me preface the long answer by saying that a good saxophonist in a concert band is worth their weight in gold. With that said, there are a few factors that often lead low brass feeling frustrated by saxophones in the brass in the concert band:
    What does all of this mean? Being a saxophonist in the concert band is hard. While low brass players might like to vent about those darn saxes, it would be more productive to understand the issue and approach our woodwind counterparts with some sympathy for being dealt one of the toughest roles in the concert band. And, if you have good musical partners in the saxophone section, appreciate how lucky you are.
    Well said. Saxophones provide unique and beautiful voices but players who can really produce the characteristic sound of the instrument are rare. I think this is true for many instruments, including the euphonium!

Nicely formatted response, Adrian, and well thought out!

I have been lucky enough to play in an ensemble where the sax players were concert-band oriented. There was little reason to poke fun at them (no more than there is for any instrument one might choose). And they surely were a nice supplement to the low-middle sonority at times. I'm rewinding my mental tapes and can't think of the saxes being a problem for intonation either.

One has to assume that orchestral musicians might make jokes about either saxophone OR euphonium players. In either case it's an instrument that is not part of the normal tonal spectrum, for better or worse.

This makes me think about the cello players in the U.S. Air Force Band. Cello is a much more "high-brow" instrument than euphonium or sax by reputation, but in a concert band they could also have blending and intonation problems. Now and then there would be a little verbal scuffle between cello and euphonium players. After one such, Brian Bowman wanted to tweak at them a little. He bought tee shirts for the cellists that said W.E.S.A. - Wooden Euphonium Society of America.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I like the WESA T-shirt idea. I suspect the cellists never wore them though.

I remember Fred Dart telling me about his time in the Air Force Band. It was during the Col. George Howard era. Fred said it was Col. Howard who added the cellos to the band. Fred said he really didn't care for the cellos as "they stole all the good solos". I love the sound of the cello - but in orchestras.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Adrian has it right. Let me add a bit of emphasis and a little more direct insight ...

I played saxophone for over 15 years -- from its being my very first instrument in 6th grade until I stopped playing in graduate school. I was "classically" trained (in part by a Masters student at Eastman), but also trained to a lesser degree by a local jazz musician. I was good at it (competitions, juries, etc.), both as an individual and in groups.

Here's my primary answer to the original question: Tuning, intonation, and tone quality. (Uh ... what more do you want from an instrument?)

The saxophone is a VERY easy instrument to learn to play. It's even easier than baritone (yes, i know: hard to believe). You put the reed on, you blow into it, and you push buttons to change the pitch. Sounds come out, and they're more or less correct. You're up and running as a sax player in a couple of days. The embouchure is MUCH less demanding than that of the clarinet or flute (which have very similar button arrangements).

It's that "more or less" part that's the major problem. There's an old saxophone joke that the difference between a saxophone and a lawn mower is that you can tune a lawnmower. It's funny because it's true. How DO you affect the tuning/intonation of a saxophone? Two ways: (1) buy an expensive instrument that has excellent intonation, and/or (2) control it completely through your embouchure. You'll notice that when ensembles tune, the sax players will often pull out their mouthpieces a bit or push them in a bit. How much do you think that actually affects the pitch? Right. Now things like clarinets and flutes (not to mention the double reeds) have much the same problem, but (possibly because of the more dramatic conical bore?) in saxophones it's very pronounced.

Student level saxophones typically really suck in terms of pitch and intonation. Saxophone players in the schools (who are mostly taking lessons from a school "music teacher" who is almost never a saxophonist) are never taught how to play in tune uniformly, and their instruments are not helping them. Later in life, these people end up in community bands. They do not know how to play in tune, and they usually don't know what "in tune" means because they've never trained their ears to do it.

When I showed up for my first lesson (at about age 13 in the early 60s -- before some of the really good saxophones were manufactured) with my Eastman guy, I saw that he had masking tape all over his instrument. Why? "It's the only way to get it to play basically in tune."

The saxophone is a very easy instrument to learn to play. It is a VERY VERY difficult instrument to learn to play in tune and with good tone production. In the family, the baritone is generally the best of lot in terms of tone quality, pitch, intonation, and tone quality. I don't know why this is.

In the past year I've gone from one community band where the saxophone section was dreadful to another where the section is actually good. What's the difference? Better (more expensive) instruments and better training and musicianship. But that's quite unusual for a saxophone section in community band. Quite unusual. In general, amateur saxophone players who show up in community bands have significantly poorer equipment and are just not as good musicians as most of the rest of the players. It's their culture.

Ladies, don't let your children grow up to be saxophonists -- unless you have them trained for the real rodeo just like other musicians.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Wow, I really wasn't expecting this great of a response to this thread! There's a reason that this forum is my favorite place to hang out on the internet. (Who needs Facebook when you have a bunch of brass players to talk to?)

There is one point I'd like to address, though:

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Student level saxophones typically really suck in terms of pitch and intonation. Saxophone players in the schools (who are mostly taking lessons from a school "music teacher" who is almost never a saxophonist) are never taught how to play in tune uniformly, and their instruments are not helping them. Later in life, these people end up in community bands. They do not know how to play in tune, and they usually don't know what "in tune" means because they've never trained their ears to do it.

When I showed up for my first lesson (at about age 13 in the early 60s -- before some of the really good saxophones were manufactured) with my Eastman guy, I saw that he had masking tape all over his instrument. Why? "It's the only way to get it to play basically in tune."

The saxophone is a very easy instrument to learn to play. It is a VERY VERY difficult instrument to learn to play in tune and with good tone production. In the family, the baritone is generally the best of lot in terms of tone quality, pitch, intonation, and tone quality. I don't know why this is.

In the past year I've gone from one community band where the saxophone section was dreadful to another where the section is actually good. What's the difference? Better (more expensive) instruments and better training and musicianship. But that's quite unusual for a saxophone section in community band. Quite unusual. In general, amateur saxophone players who show up in community bands have significantly poorer equipment and are just not as good musicians as most of the rest of the players. It's their culture.
    There's also a school of saxophonists who forsake modern equipment (with tuning improvements) for certain classic models, like the Selmer Mark VI. The Mark VI has a distinctive sound that has yet to be replicated, but it has serious tuning issues that players have to work hard to address. Some Mark VI devotees do, some don't. The closest analogy I can think of for the latter group is a euphoniumist buying a Besson New Standard for the tone quality and not trying to bring the notoriously sharp 6th partial into tune.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Quote Originally Posted by adrian_quince View Post

There's also a school of saxophonists who forsake modern equipment (with tuning improvements) for certain classic models, like the Selmer Mark VI.
    Ah, the Selmer Mark VI. I switched from alto to tenor when I was 15 -- definitely one of the worst mistakes in my musical life, but the tenor was the sexy jazz horn and seemed more versatile and in demand at the time. At that point my parents had scraped together enough money to buy a new horn for me to replace the old used alto I'd started with as a rental and then bought.

The Mark VI was the top of the line. How I wanted a Mark VI!! But the Mark VI was $625 at the time (yeah, I still remember the price). Too rich for us. The Conn (Artist model, also referred to as the 10M) was $475. The Selmer was, by every measure, clearly superior. I've seen it said of the 10M that "This seems like the horn everyone who wasn't playing a VI at the time were most often playing on." Paul Desmond played a Selmer VI (as did John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins). Of course, Sigurd Rascher (my teacher's professor at Eastman) played on a (gold plated) Buescher New Aristocrat, which was regarded as a better horn for "classical" work.

Among the players in a saxophone section, the bari players are often the best musicians. Partly I think it's something about that horn and the parts written for it (and the fact that you can by an easy trick play bass clef parts such as bassoon, euphonium, tuba, etc.). And partly it's because the bari players are often converted bassoon players. In middle or high school, if you needed a bari player for pep band, big band, etc., you could turn a bassoon player into a reasonable bari sax player in a few days. And the bassoon player tended to know a lot about tone and pitch control.

Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

9. Quote Originally Posted by adrian_quince View Post
    Thanks. In school, having friends who played saxophone while I played brass, at a young age I became acutely aware that something as small as a pad being knocked ever so slightly out of alignment as it opened from the tone hole could have a major detriment to how the instrument played in tune. To me, saxophone is one of the easiest instruments to blow, but one of the hardest to play in good tune and tone.

This is an interesting (and occasionally funny) discussion. Here's my two cents.

After I retired and we moved to Alabama, I went thru a time when I was seriously thinking about getting an alto sax and learning how to play it, not for band work, but so I could have something as a solo instrument that I could really sing thru. I never did actually go that route; instead, I got some gospel music karaoke tracks and started working on singing thru the euph. From there I went to popular tracks, and things have reached the point where I've signed on as a contestant on next years America's Got Talent season, playing show and pop tunes to show kids that the euph can be used for this kind of music. The euph can "sing" as well as any sax.

I have nothing to add on the subject of saxes in ensembles. Gary and Adrian are much more knowledgeable on that subject than I will ever be.

With regard to "wooden euphoniums", by the time I reached my senior year of high school, I was desperate for some orchestral experience, so I practiced all summer with a borrowed violin, hoping to at least get good enough to sit last stand second. I sucked all the way, partly because my left thumb was weird, and I couldn't hold the instrument right. When I approached our school's instrumental music director, he put me on double-bass instead, and the left hand that couldn't hold a fiddle correctly was perfect for bass. Now, looking back, I would have advised 14-year-old myself (the first year I was in a school with an orchestra) to pick up cello in parallel with euphonium -- the best of both worlds.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast