Thread: Time for new springs?

Time for new springs?

I have a Vincent Bach B1106 marching baritone and the plastic coating is starting to come off the springs.

- Is it time to get new springs or can I just peel away the frayed plastic? The valve response is still fine.
    - Will any baritone springs work as a replacement or are there sizes for springs?

You can peel off the plastic coating, but the springs may be a bit noisy. Sounds like you're using Yamaha's coated springs? These are a good choice. I've used them for several years. They're known for having the plastic coating coming loose after awhile.
    Last edited by RickF; 10-29-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Rick speaks the truth. If you use the plastic-coated springs, plan on replacing them at most every two years. And if your springs are already peeling, discard and replace. You likely won't get all the plastic, and the bits that you miss will get up into your valves and cause them to stick.

Voice of experience.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

If yours are like the Yamaha springs, the good news is that these are easy (and cheap) to get. Here are some for $18.95 (set of 4):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-...t/222597842870

Or 3 for $12.95:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-...t/322520390507
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks everyone, those look the same. I'll pick up a set.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    Rick speaks the truth. If you use the plastic-coated springs, plan on replacing them at most every two years. And if your springs are already peeling, discard and replace. You likely won't get all the plastic, and the bits that you miss will get up into your valves and cause them to stick. [snip]
    Interesting - I just noticed the peeling springs earlier this month, when I tried Herco Spitballs for the first time. It's probably unrelated to my use of the Spitballs, except for the fact that I took a close look at the springs when I was cleaning and re-oiling the valves.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing