Thread: I got a hug from our state Governor this evening!

1. I got a hug from our state Governor this evening!

In addition to everything else, I am the conductor of our regional Shrine Band here in southwest Missouri. We play several community concerts during the year: Memorial Day at the gazebo at the National Cemetery, community and regional parades, including Veterans' Day, and the two or three "Honor Flights" that occur during the year. What is an "Honor Flight"? Please let me explain.

Link: http://www.honorflightoftheozarks.org/

This organization sponsors veterans on day flights out and back to Washington, DC from Springfield, MO to see the war memorials. The organization started a few years ago with WWII veterans, and are gradually working forward.

The regional Shrine Band invites players from the regional community bands to join us to play a short concert for the reception before the plane lands, and then we play our National Anthem and the service anthems as the veterans deplane and proceed through the terminal through the enthusiastic reception. Many other civic, law enforcement, rolling thunder, the Coast Guard detachment from the navigable lakes south of us, JrROTC, Scouts, and other well-wishers always attend to give these veterans the reception that some of them never had when returning home from service.

On this particular flight tonight, our state Governor attended. As I saw him in the terminal, I mentioned to his aide that I would be happy to introduce him to the members of the band. As I was conducting, all of a sudden I felt a hand and arm around my shoulder as he gave me a big hug in appreciation of our playing for the benefit of the veterans. I turned around, greeted and thanked him, and he then proceeded down the corridor. Thankfully, we were playing a march that the band continued for those few seconds while I greeted the Governor and thanked him.

Most of my family served in the various branches of service. I did not, due to accident of birth with the timing of the end of the draft, only child, health conditions that would have disqualified me, etc. But that does not matter. When I was in high school, the commander of the local VFW post would come to the high school and ask for me by name to come play taps for military funerals. I had the knack of finding the echo in all these rural small cemeteries that were surrounded by hills. I have also played for Civil War re-enactments and other occasions.

I strive always to conduct myself in this manner: not all of us were called to wear a uniform. But we are all called to honor those that do. So playing and conducting is how I can do that. I never expect a thanks or a recognition, because returning the thanks is the least I can do. But on the rare occasion that someone does thank me, I am most appreciative. So imagine how I feel this evening getting a hug from our state Governor!!!

Oh - I forgot - our Governor is a Navy SEAL and a Rhodes Scholar. Thanks for the bandwidth.
    Last edited by iiipopes; 10-24-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    iiipopes: As a retired Army guy, I appreciate your very sincere contribution in honoring those who have served and are serving. And it truly is nice to receive some recognition for your efforts (and the efforts of those in your bands). Bravo!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Very cool story, thanks for sharing!

Also, thank you for supporting our veterans.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

That's a nice story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

These honor flights DO make a difference. A fellow in my church recently took that ride. He's about 90 years old and a great guy (he still participates in our Habitat for Humanity builds each year!). When he related the story of taking the honor flight he had trouble controlling his voice - he was obviously very touched by it.

During my years in the CG Band I got to meeting and/or hear many of our vets at various ceremonies. Their stories really made an impression on me. I heard vets from WWI, WWI, Korea, and Viet Nam.

During my early CGB days, there was a lot of conflict in our country over the Viet Nam war. This is during the time our returning service folks were getting spat on, etc. Even at the Coast Guard Academy, which is A) a well-accepted part of the community, and B) training people primarily to go out a save lives, we were instructed to change into civilians clothes before leaving the base. Normally the military wants folks to wear the uniform to spread public good will for the base, but they deemed it unsafe for us to do so. That experience is one reason I'm SO glad that we are doing the honor flights for our vets who won't be with us all that much longer.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

I think the "Honor Flights" is a great program! Being a veteran of the Vietnam era it's really refreshing to see this.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. Gentlemen, thank you.

Let me add my vote of "well done!" for the Honor Flight support. Also an Army retiree, I remember well the gigs played to honor those coming back from the Sandbox (Iraq and Saudi). And being an avid motorcyclist, I'm also a Patriot Guard Rider and have participated in a number of missions. Each one is poignant and dignified, which is exactly the way we should support all of those who have served.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)