Thread: Mouthpiece for Willson 2900TA

Mouthpiece for Willson 2900TA

I am 16 years old and I play the second euphonium six years in a Windband in Corfu, Greece.In a few weeks I will recieve a new instrument the Willson 2900TA but it has not a mouthpiece within beacause it is second handed.Any ideas on which mouthpiece to buy?

2. What mp have you been playing on up to now?

I have been playing with a bach 6 1\2 AL .But now its too small

A section mate plays a Schilke 51D on his Willson and sounds very good. It is a favorite mouthpiece by many euphonium players and would be a step up from your Bach 6 1/2AL. (I don't know if these are available in Europe.) You may not want to jump from a 6 1/2AL to a much larger mouthpiece that would take a long time to get used to. I hope others will weigh in with their suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by enhite View Post
    A section mate plays a Schilke 51D on his Willson and sounds very good. It is a favorite mouthpiece by many euphonium players and would be a step up from your Bach 6 1/2AL. (I don't know if these are available in Europe.) You may not want to jump from a 6 1/2AL to a much larger mouthpiece that would take a long time to get used to. I hope others will weigh in with their suggestions.
    Perhaps the Bowman BB1, which I understand to be a modification of the Schilke 51D design.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Thank you for your advice.
    Last edited by Simone; 10-22-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Be aware that the Willson 2900TA uses a European medium shank receiver. The Schilke 51D is the classic mouthpiece for this horn but is definitely not the only choice. I haven't played the Bowman BB1 but it would likely be a great wind band choice. Both are available with the medium shank. Another choice is the Denis Wick 4AM.