Thread: Range + Tone

1. Range + Tone

So I've started practicing with a mirror and I noticed that once I start to get above a high F (Bass Clef) I start to get a smiling embouchure and I think it effects my endurance. Additionally I noticed that my tone thins out very quickly.

My question is, what exercises can I do to work my way out of the smiling embouchure and what can I do to decrease the amount of pressure I put on the mouthpiece when I start playing at the top of my range? How do I open up the sound?

I have an honor band to go to in late November and one of the songs has a high B flat two or three times. I can play the note, but it's not pretty, and I can't always hit it in that context. However, I do think a month is a reasonable amount of time to get more comfortable with it.

All advice is appreciated

-TJ

Quote Originally Posted by daviste View Post
    ...I noticed that once I start to get above a high F (Bass Clef) I start to get a smiling embouchure and I think it effects my endurance. Additionally I noticed that my tone thins out very quickly.
    The smile and thin sound typically go together.

My question is, what exercises can I do to work my way out of the smiling embouchure and what can I do to decrease the amount of pressure I put on the mouthpiece when I start playing at the top of my range? How do I open up the sound?
    I'd work in front of the mirror. Try to keep your embouchure stable as you go above F. Do this gradually. Work on keeping your muscles stable as you get an F#, and try to not produce a different tone from the F. Build on that and go slowly!

However, I do think a month is a reasonable amount of time to get more comfortable with it.
    I wouldn't be surprised, but don't let the time frame hurry you. I THINK once you start getting the idea it will go quickly for keeping stable visually up to Bb. Then it will take a while to become as confident and accurate with the new settings. For the most part, the smile gives you a little assist in making the lips vibrate more quickly, but it is still your muscles that do most of the work. The muscles are probably 80% ready now, so you have a little building to do on your foundation, rather than having to create the strength from scratch.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Terry Everson talks about this very concept in this interview: https://youtu.be/Na_swffbMxQ. He starts talking about it about 7 minutes in. Focus on keeping an "oo" vowel throughout the range.
    JACE VICKERS, DMA
    Assistant Director of Bands
    Assistant Professor of Low Brass
    East Central University

4. I had a lesson with Neal Corwell recently, where we worked on a similar issue. He had me do an exercise where I would play intervals of a 4th or a 5th, while focusing on keeping my embouchure stable. So, for instance, I would start on a Bb, slurring up to an Eb, while focusing on keeping my embouchure stable, and then moving up by half steps.

Essentially, it's the same concept as lip slurs, but using smaller intervals. As you improve, you can expand the interval (5ths, 6ths, 7ths, etc.) It definitely helped me.

I also like Dave's note on "not trying to produce a different tone" from F to F#. Neal told me the same thing when working on these 4ths.

5. https://www.thomann.de/gb/arnolds_so....htm#bewertung

To practice with reduced pressure I use this adaptor daily for a few minutes

6. Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll be sure to take my time with the process

7. I’m currently working through an issue where my upper lip starts to get unstable when my embouchre gets tired. I think it’s due to a combination of improper technique and playing for hours every day for a month.

8. I would probably suggest that when your emboucher gets tired after several hours playing it is time to stop for the day, you say you have been doing several hours for a month how long were you practicing for previously ?