Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hiramdiaz1
    • May 2012

Yes I do play a 51D. I won my job playing a BB1 but truly it is a sharp rimmed mouthpiece that I just couldn’t see playing comfortably anymore. My teacher in high school, Jay Bertolet, recommended that I purchase a 51D early on. Like Brandon mentioned, I went through a whole series of different mouthpieces for a very long time, not really sure of what I wanted to sound like, more just going for ease of pedal register playing, and flexibility. For a time I even played a Greg Black 1G (ridiculous), and sometimes a Bach 2G (doubly ridiculous). I had major tone quality issues.

The 51D, in gold plating for me, is the balance I am looking for. Nice deep cup shape for clarity of articulation and depth of sound, nice comfortable rolled rim for ease of flexibility, and gold for slipperiness.

Comment

• daruby
      • Apr 2006

Listen to Hiram. He is awesome!
      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
      Concord Band
      Winchendon Winds
      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• RickF
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by daruby View Post
        Listen to Hiram. He is awesome!
        Agreed!! I got to hear him live in West Palm Beach, FL last year when the "President's Own" came to town at the Kravis Center. He played a duet (forgot title) with trumpet and it was fantastic!
        Rick Floyd
        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
        Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• stephenhunt16
          • Mar 2016

Ben Pierce plays on a 51D and recommends it to most (basically all) of his students, including myself, and I do enjoy it very much!
          Music Education and Music Theory Major
          Miraphone M5050

Comment

Working...
          X