X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Euphoniumgrandma
    • Oct 2017

Euphonium Studies

I am a Euphonium Grandma to a student in FL who attends a Performing Arts High School. She plays Euph and F Horn and is currently in 9th grade but is not "First Chair" . Although they have a requirement of a summer music camp (at least a week), which she has attended previously , I do not count it as more than really 5 hours of playing a day for 4-5 days. She also takes lessons after school for 30 min one day a week. She needs a summer course in intensive, one on one if she is to actually grow. (there is more to this story) because she is NOT getting what she needs. Is working on her 3rd year and I am not seeing what I think should be the development in her instrument. She practices , I know. Anyway, I will spring for a summer course or week etc for her to take this intensive training but actually, I am not seeing where to go for this. I am a woodwind so am not sure where would be the best place for her to spend her time. Can one of you Euphoniums give me some choices? Im not sure that a week with mostly orchestra playing would be what she needs at this point. Although I know it is important in its own right.
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Welcome to our forum!

If you are looking for a great summer camp experience, I highly recommend the International Euphonium-Tuba Festival, run by Adam Frey:

http://ietfestival.com/index.html

There are opportunities to hear great players, fellowship with peers, have a couple one-on-one lessons with pro euphonium players, perform on a recital, and perform in a large euphonium-tuba ensemble. It is in Atlanta, so not as far away as some events.

Going to something like this is instructional. In addition to the above list, there are master classes and group warm-up's, which can also be valuable. However, it's too limited a time for the instructional pieces to make a huge difference by themselves. The real value is combining that instruction with the outright inspiration of hearing remarkable pro players AND some of the really fine students who will also play there.

For 2018, for example, the euphonium stars include:

Brian Bowman (the bedrock teacher of euphonium in this country for decades)
    Tormod Flaten (great Norwegian euphonium player)
    David Thornton (monster euphonium player from England)
    Thomas Reudi (perhaps the most musical, lyrical euphonium player I've heard)
    and more

There are some other conferences to consider as well. Check this list (just an overview, I'm sure they don't have many details yet):

http://www.iteaonline.org/conference...2018_index.php

There will a good measure of networking and inspiration at those as well, although the lesson opportunities may be more hit-and-miss, vs. being part of the Atlanta conference's very structure.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• JasonDonnelly
      • Nov 2015

Another vote for IET. Great opportunities to take lessons with the very best, plus masterclasses with them, warm-up classes, chamber music, solo recital opportunities, etc. It's been a huge factor in my development as a euphonium player.
      University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
      Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
      Courtois 551BHRA
      Conn 88HCLSGX
      Various Greg Black mouthpieces

Comment

• DaveBj
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by JasonDonnelly View Post
        Another vote for IET. Great opportunities to take lessons with the very best, plus masterclasses with them, warm-up classes, chamber music, solo recital opportunities, etc. It's been a huge factor in my development as a euphonium player.
        ^^^ What he said.
        David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
        2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
        2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
        2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
        Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
        Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• knuxie
          • Dec 2005

http://www.mendezbrassinstitute.com/

Comment

Working...
          X