Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djwpe
    • Dec 2008

I found I don’t need o-rings with my newest 5050. Both of my old ones needed them.

Comment

• jcemu07
      • Nov 2020

Anyone know where I can a metal water catcher? I know there's a plastic one Mead endorses. Kevin Powers mentioned Badger Music in Wisconsin who I think are Wilson dealers but I can't find a website for them. TIA
      Josh Chenier
      Euphonium - Hirsbrunner HBS 378
      Bass Trombone - Vincent Bach Stradivarius Model 50

Comment

• RickF
        • Jan 2006

Here’s a link for Badger State Repair:

https://www.badgerstatesupply.com/
        Rick Floyd
        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
        Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• ann reid
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by booboo View Post
          I've actually gone a bit retro here. I find the gutters great for catching the drips, but if I lay the instrument down during a longer rehearsal/practice/concert I get a gutter-full on my crotch, which is not great. I realise I should empty it more. For this reason I've gone back to a duster/rag/beer towel (remember them?) trapped between the valve block and the 4th valve.
          Our community band played a concert in a beautiful indoor facility a couple weeks ago, and before confirming, we were asked how we proposed to handle “fluid management”.

I bought a pack of black heavy loop cotton face cloths on Amazon and distributed them to all of the brass players before the concert, and placed collection containers at either side of the playing area.

All were returned, and they were washed with sanitizing detergent and stored in case they’re requested again. No complaints from the venue following the concert.

Comment

• jcemu07
            • Nov 2020

Originally posted by RickF View Post
            Here’s a link for Badger State Repair:

https://www.badgerstatesupply.com/
            Thanks very much Rick!
            Josh Chenier

Comment

• franz
              • Dec 2015

Speaking of water catchers, I made my own after, when I bought my Besson Prestige in 2007, this wasn't included with the instrument. I made others that I put on the 3 New Standards I recently bought. They were made from a drilled and threaded brass bar with caps at the ends and then plated, gold or silver depending on the case. The ones sold in the Mead store in green plastic are effective for the purpose, but aesthetically they suck. These Bessons I own have a consistent leak from the bottom of the pistons, while the Courtois I've played for twenty years has never leaked a drop of water from there. He had pistons so precise that, if you plugged the hole in the bottom and pressed to lower it, he couldn't; or, with the piston lowered, plugging the hole on the bottom and releasing it, it remained stationary (there was no through hole on the piston for the air discharge).

Click image for larger version

Name:	raccogliacqua.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	534.7 KB
ID:	118338
              2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• Fishlips
                • Sep 2016

I purchased a water catcher from Wessex five years ago for $45 plus shipping. It's the metal tube and keyhole type with an internal spring plate. It works well, though I had a rusting issue with the spring, which was resolved by simply removing it. It fits snugly on my Sterling without it.

More recently, I bought a SBTray from Steven Mead's website. It is a dark charcoal gray. Since it is more an open cup design, I put a 2+ inch section of tiki torch wick in it to absorb the liquid and keep it from sloshing out if I tip the horn or put it in the case. (Tiki wicks are available on Amazon and I got a bag of twelve 10 inch wicks for $6.) It seems to be working well, so far.
                Sterling Virtuoso IV; Wick 4ABL
                Boosey & Hawkes Imperial (1972); Wick 4AM
                Renton City Concert Band

Comment

• jcemu07
                  • Nov 2020

Has anyone tried the Valve Beanie? Dillon Music said they have some customers swear by it.

https://josephguimaraes.com/the-valve-beanie/
                  Josh Chenier

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jcemu07 View Post
                    Has anyone tried the Valve Beanie? Dillon Music said they have some customers swear by it.

https://josephguimaraes.com/the-valve-beanie/
                    I'm really skeptical that it would work for me. I used something like this many years ago and it worked great for a little while (on my Besson). Those valves did throw quite a bit of liquid at my pants, so I needed something. But then in the middle of rehearsal, one of my valves started responding really slowly. The fabric in this case got wet, and stopped passing air through easily, so it was like playing with the bottom vent hole blocked.

It's possible this thing would work on a trumpet or a 3+1 euphonium, assuming you did not have to stretch it so tightly that the fabric came close to the valve bottom. As long as it did not touch, or didn't come very close, the air could pass into the pouch and exit in the spaces between valves.

In any case, my valves don't pass enough moisture to cause me any problems.
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                    YouTube: dwerden
                    Facebook: davewerden
                    Twitter: davewerden
                    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• tonewheeler
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jcemu07 View Post
                      Thanks very much Rick!
                      Hey Josh, let me (us) know how it goes with Badger State Repair. I tried to use them a couple of times. They don't seem to answer the phone, return calls, or respond to emails. I finally gave up on getting Miraphone parts from them! At the time, they were the US distributor for Miraphone parts.
                      Euphs:
                      Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
                      Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
                      Yamaha 201 Baritone
                      Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
                      Groups:
                      The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

• RickF
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by tonewheeler View Post
                        Hey Josh, let me (us) know how it goes with Badger State Repair. I tried to use them a couple of times. They don't seem to answer the phone, return calls, or respond to emails. I finally gave up on getting Miraphone parts from them! At the time, they were the US distributor for Miraphone parts.
                        That's discouraging to hear. I used Badger State Repair a few times to get Miraphone parts.
                        Rick Floyd

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.

Comment

• tonewheeler
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by RickF View Post
                          That's discouraging to hear. I used Badger State Repair a few times to get Miraphone parts.
                          Rick, so did I. I initially ordered and received parts from "Ed" at Badger, I even exchanged emails with him. But after 2017, I tried to order some other parts (linkage for the tuning trigger) and stopped receiving any response, including calling them with no pickup or a voicemail. Maybe things have changed?
                          Euphs:
                          Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
                          Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
                          Yamaha 201 Baritone
                          Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
                          Groups:
                          The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

• RickF
                            • Jan 2006

Okay Dan. I just called Badger State Repair and spoke with Ed's sister, Dawn. She said Ed was not in the office right now. She said they do still supply parts for Miraphone on a daily basis. I asked if it's okay to share their phone number on the forum and she said absolutely. It's 262-723-4062.

So maybe they were shutdown for awhile during COVID - not sure.
                            Rick Floyd

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                              • Mar 2012

Adams provided a water catcher for the main valve block on my E3. In contrast to the catcher on my previous horn a Willson 2900, I never find any water in the Adams catcher. I have no clue why this is. Tighter tolerances? By the way the Adams design with the internal spring is secure and very well designed.

Comment

• Eupher6
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
                                Adams provided a water catcher for the main valve block on my E3. In contrast to the catcher on my previous horn a Willson 2900, I never find any water in the Adams catcher. I have no clue why this is. Tighter tolerances? By the way the Adams design with the internal spring is secure and very well designed.
                                Same with me, as I think I mentioned upthread. Except for one thing - I do find water in the Adams water catcher, but it's a small amount compared to the veritable flood I routinely found in my Sterling and my 967 - both of which I've sold. I tried all kinds of things over the years, culminating with the small PVC pipe and stoppers, but nothing worked as well as the Adams - though I do not put the horn down on the bell, inviting whatever small amount there is spilling out.
                                U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
                                Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
                                Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
                                Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
                                Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
                                Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Comment

Working...
                                X