Thread: High School Solo?

High School Solo?

Hey, I'm new to Mr. Werden's site, I've looked at things for a while and decided to register. I'm a high school junior but (and I don't mean it arrogantly) rather accomplished on euphonium for my age. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a solo and ensemble contest, I'm taking a solo. I've got a while until the contest. My director recommended Suite for Baritone by Haddad, and my lesson teacher Morceau Symphonique. Any ideas? Comments? Advice?

American Portrait by Buckley, with band.

DG

Welcome to the posting side of the site!

Both pieces you name are good, solid standards in our repertoire. One advantage of Morceau is that you can find many recordings to listen to (including a couple of mine), and you hear some famous trombone players perform it. It's great to have good models as you prepare. The Haddad is less popular in recordings, but there are still a few on YouTube you could listen to.

When I was a junior in HS I played Vincent Bach's Hungarian Melodies, which is still on many contest lists today. I also like Paul Droste's arrangement of "Five Pieces in Folk Style" by Schumann. You could perhaps choose fewer than 5 to perform, depending on the expectations for contest (and naturally you would choose movements that showcase your strengths).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

If you're in Texas, there is a nice list of level 1 solos at the UIL website.

Hey, last Thursday I performed Herbert L. Clarke's Bride of the Waves at a recital for school. If your multiple tonguing is good enough I would definitely suggest looking into anything by Clarke. Depending on whether or not you can read in B-flat treble, some of his other solos from the cornet solo book are excellent and definitely wow the crowd. In my spare time from working on my college audition music, I play through some of his pieces like "The Debutante" and "The Maid of the Mist". Both have many recordings of cornet and trumpet solos that you would be able to listen to so that you could help yourself. The only thing about these pieces is that you will need a skilled accompanist for competing with these as the accompaniment part is not the easiest.

Another suggestion is the Horovitz Concerto for Euphonium. This is one of the staples of our solo literature and it is one of the best pieces out there to play. I used this for my interlochen Audition when i was a sophmore in highschool. The first and second movements are relatively easy to master, but the third moves quite quickly.

hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to look into these pieces and I'll go from there! Thanks! (By the way my multiple tonguing is quite good, I've had numerous experienced musicians tell me so Clarke might be worth a shot!)

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but a follow up after district solo/ensemble and with state coming soon! Decided on Suite for Baritone, with plans for Devil's Tongue, or maybe Fantasie Brilliante for next year, as well as the possibility of The Debutante! Thanks again for the advice, and the performance went fantastic!

Another suggestion is Sparke's Fantasy for Euphonium. It is high Grade 8/ATCL level and it sounds fantastic with wind orchestra. It is a bit demanding on range and triple tonguing, but if you can pull it off, it is brilliant!