Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is college worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by cochranme View Post
    “Is college worth it?”

No. That’s money that could be spent on mouthpieces and beer. And mouthpieces.
    Ain't it the truth, brother!

DG

We have visited several places, including Eastman, Ithaca, Carnegie Mellon, Cincinnati (CCM), BGSU, and Akron is today.

It’s truly a shame that there are so few professional performance opportunities for euphonium. It’s the most beautiful brass instrument to hear.

Maybe my son will change that.

Anyhow, it’s difficult to aim high and see these amazing teachers and programs and think he will have to settle for financial reasons.

The maximum music scholarship possible at one school is $20,000. Tuition is $63,000.

I don’t think it’s worth it and that is a shame because it’s a fantastic place.

I almost feel as if we shouldn’t have visited because even the best case scenario seems out-of-reach financially.

But we didn’t know in advance how much of a scholarship these places give.

It’s exceedingly stressful and difficult. My poor son is worn down and has no time to practice.

December 1 is the deadline to apply most everywhere. Hopefully he can focus on preparing for his audition. I wish a magical affordable option would present itself.

I should say we have been told Logan would get a “full ride” for his playing. I didn’t believe that, but wouldn’t it be nice if they fought over euphonium players like they do linebackers?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345