Thread: WTB: Wessex BR140 Baritone, Thoughts?

WTB: Wessex BR140 Baritone, Thoughts?

Hello, I've admired the brass band baritone sound for a while and I saw that Wessex has one for a very affordable price (BR140 silver plated). I am aware that their "Dolce" Euphonium is recommended but I was wondering if anyone had any comments or experience with the horn. I've been looking in to the horn for a while but I'd really appreciate any information. Also additional questions, does anyone know the shank size for the horn? As well as how is the default mouthpiece it comes with?

I have not had a chance to play one yet, but I've heard good things about them. It would be a small shank, just like the Sovereign 955. A fellow on "The Mouthpiece" forum bought one and seems pretty happy with it. See post #17 in this thread:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/forum/t...aritone.45927/

We have some members who own the 140, so maybe someone else will join our discussion.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I moved this thread to the "Euph Brands" category.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. End of June I had a BR140/silverplated in my hands and of course on my lips for a couple of hours. I ordered it for our band from Wessex and was very pleased with their customer service. Though we have not kept the instrument we do recommend the company and the instrument. Craftmanship, fit and finish of the baritone were fine. It was close to the Yamaha Baritone (831S) we got from our local dealer. The BR140 is really worth the money. The Yamaha is not cheap but it showed small advantages in intonation, response, sound and built quality. So it won the competition. For me the huge difference in price does not count too much when I think of a new Baritone as an investment for the rest of my life and probably several thousand hours of playing. Am i biased towards the Yamaha? Yes, because I really love to play my 642neo. In the eighties I played a C-Tuba from Yamaha and heard of the guy who bought it that every bit of spare part like felts and springs or leadpipe still is easily accessible.
    If you have more restricted budgets or are not willing to pay the price of the Yamaha then in my opinion the Wessex is the next best deal.
    Sterling Virtuoso / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha 642 II / Giddings Kadja
    Yamaha YBH 831S / Giddings Kadja S
    Yamaha Flügelhorn 631GS / DW2FL

I've owned a BR140 for about a year. I play it in church with a brass group playing the second trombone part. For me, it is perfect. Great sound, good mechanicals and right price. It does have the small shank. I use a Denis Wick 6BS or a 5BS. I found that blue juice oil works best for me. Unless you are a professional player in brass band or have a specific affinity for a particular brand, you will not be disappointed in the Wessex horn. Professional players might be able to tell the difference between the Wessex and the premium horns.

6. I bought a BR140 in 2015, and I find it to be a good horn. It doesn't have the "brilliance" of a Besson 955, but it will do the job nicely at about 10% the cost (Besson 955s are $7,000 brand new). I would not hesitate to play my BR140 in my brass bands if I didn't have a Besson 955 at my disposal.

Thank you all for your feedback! I think I will make the decision to go and try it out soon. As much as I'd like the nice Yamaha I do not have the income to purchase it yet.