Thread: Wessex -- Lacquer, Silver, Lacquer/Gold Brass Bell

1. Wessex -- Lacquer, Silver, Lacquer/Gold Brass Bell

I've decided to buy a Wessex Dolce euphonium.

I've been to the Ferrysburg, MI showroom twice and have played both the lacquer and silver models. I liked them both -- very much. Since I will be playing almost entirely in some type of ensemble, I plan on taking some friends down and play with others before I make up my mind on which model.

It would appear that in addition to the lacquer and silver models, the UK site offers a lacquer model with a gold brass bell. From what I've read, the lacquer model with the gold brass bell might just have the tone I'm looking for.

Any comments on the differences of the three models would be greatly appreciated.

Later,

John

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Hello John,

I recently purchased a Wessex Dolce euphonium with Gold Brass Bell (that was a $60 upgrade when I bought the horn a month ago). I can't compare it to a Dolce with a yellow brass bell, since I have not played or heard one. I can compare it to the garbage truck that arrived at 6 AM this morning and say I like the sound of my gold brass bell better than that infernal truck! But, I digress. I actually was not able to hear ANY Dolce euphoniums prior to getting mine. But I think the general consensus (maybe) is that yellow brass has a clear and brilliant sound and good projection, whereas with gold brass the sound tends to be warmer and darker, still with good projection, but perhaps a little less brilliant (bright). I was asked by Jonathan of Wessex when I purchased the horn if I wanted the gold brass bell, which I didn't even realize was an option. I decided on it, as I tend to like horns that are warmer and darker rather than bright.

Having played on the Dolce now for almost a month, I am quite happy with it. I have sort of grown used to it. It is a brighter horn than my Miraphone M5050 was, so it takes a bit of getting used to. There is not the extreme fullness or warmth that you would get from a Miraphone or Besson, but that is not to take away from the sound of the Wessex. It is quite nice, pleasing and fun to play. If I had my druthers, I would prefer a bit more warmth and darkness, but I think the gold brass bell probably helped in this regard.

I know this is all subjective opinion, and I flew helicopters and played in many bands for way too many years, so my ears may not be what they used to be. But, I think the Wessex does well in bands, and I play in a band twice a week with 3-4 other (way too many) euphonium/baritone players in my section, and the horn does fine.

John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I'm considering retiring my Yamaha 321 to outdoor use and buying a new Wessex Dolce, but I'm undecided on the choice of bell.

I read somewhere in these forums that the gold brass bell was recommended, and I'm interested to know more about that.

Are the other finishes - gold lacquer, silver and silver-gold - fairly similar to one another and generally unlike the gold brass bell? Or, are they all pretty much different from each other?

My 321 is very old -- about 1969-72-ish -- and is a heavy horn (4+ kg) with thick metal and a big sound. I like that a lot, but it's just wearing out. I've already replaced the valves but the valve casings leak and the movement of the valves are clunky. I'd like to have an instrument that's more responsive on the fingering, but still has a nice big, projecting sound.

Any advice would be appreciated.

4. The difference in sound between finishes is slight. Some people think the silver provides brighter sound, while the gold brass bell mellows the tone. But any tonal variation will be very slight, and a change of mouthpiece will make greater change. So finish is largely personal preference.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

There are two variables: finish (coating on top of the brass) and metal (what is under the coating).

Coating/finish: I've found the difference between lacquer and silver plate to be small, but I generally think lacquer provides a warmer sound.

Metal: yellow brass provides a smoother sound, and the gold brass adds a little more color/character, which I generally prefer...most days. Ideally I'd own both, but I'm not made of money and my basement has a finite number of cubic feet!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I generally don't like the feel of gold brass as much as yellow or red. I think the difference in sound that the audience hears is probably extremely subtle but, to me, the instruments have very different playing characteristics. I find gold brass to be harder to focus and less clear, it feels kind of "fuzzy" or diffuse. I realize that's a fuzzy description, but it's difficult to put into words exactly the effect. It also seems to soften your articulations very slightly when compared with yellow brass.

In some instruments it's just right, though. In instruments that are otherwise harsh or that have articulations that are too pointed (this is more a trombone problem than a euphonium problem) it can tame things a little bit.
    --
    Barry

I ordered a new Wessex Dolce with a gold brass bell after band rehearsal on Monday night (the wee hours of Tuesday morning) and it arrived by FedEx at my home in Canada this afternoon (Wednesday). I won't get to see it until I get home from work on Saturday, but I am looking forward to it. I am keeping my 321 here at the apartment in Toronto for practice duting the week with the silent brass, to avoid lugging them back and forth.

I've never owned a brand new instrument like this.

Is there any good advice on breaking it In?

I'm especially interested on what to do with the valves, as getting better valve response is the main reason for buying a new instrument.
    Last edited by Graham; 09-27-2017 at 11:44 PM.
    Yamaha YEP 321

Basically, clean the pistons every day and re-oil them. I recommend using standard (not synthetic) oil, at least during the breaking-in period. Keep up this cleaning routine for at least a couple weeks, then maybe every couple/three days for a while after that.

Also see these threads:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...king-in-a-Horn

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...best-practices

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...-in-particular
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you, Dave. These are the links I was looking for.
    Yamaha YEP 321

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I ordered a new Wessex Dolce with a gold brass bell after band rehearsal on Monday night (the wee hours of Tuesday morning) and it arrived by FedEx at my home in Canada this afternoon (Wednesday). I won't get to see it until I get home from work on Saturday, but I am looking forward to it. I am keeping my 321 here at the apartment in Toronto for practice duting the week with the silent brass, to avoid lugging them back and forth.

I've never owned a brand new instrument like this.

Is there any good advice on breaking it In?

I'm especially interested on what to do with the valves, as getting better valve response is the main reason for buying a new instrument.
    Congrats on your new horn! I would echo Dave's advice about liberally oiling and wiping off the valves every time you play it. You'll see some greyish film on the cloth you use at first, but with liberal oiling (use a LOT!) that will go away in about a month or less. The oil not only serves to lubricate and ease break in, but to flush away residual factory debris.

I got my Schiller in August...I think it is made at the same factory as the Wessex, but without the nice upgrades that Wessex includes.

Let us know your impressions!