X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anorak-Horn
    • Jun 2017

Sorry, that wasn't clear at all.

I was thinking about getting something cut to size for inside the bell, like black packaging foam in audio equipment cases. It would stick out the top slightly to wedge against the case lining.
    Jarrod Handley

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Anorak-Horn View Post
      I was thinking about getting something cut to size for inside the bell, like black packaging foam in audio equipment cases. It would stick out the top slightly to wedge against the case lining.
      That will slightly enhance your protection. However, the drawback of soft foam is that it's...well, soft. If the horn is dropped on the bell end the dynamic weight of the horn become much greater and it will probably compress the foam and still contact the case. However, by then you have slowed it down, which is a good thing. If you cut it oversize so it is really compressed to fit in place, then TSA may not be able to put it back in correctly if they inspect.

The preferred solution is something firm like Styrofoam (there are probably many other products I'm not aware of) that is shaped like the inside of your bell, but sticks out an additional inch or so (as much as the case will allow easily). That won't compress as much, it's very light, and it would be easy for TSA to reinsert it. The hard form spreads the impact out around the circumference of the bell throat, which is quite strong in this setting. But this type of form is tough to shape neatly! You do NOT want stray pieces left from your cutting floating around in your bell. They may find their way upstream and cause mischief.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Anorak-Horn
        • Jun 2017

Thanks Dave. All of this has been fantastic help.
        Jarrod Handley

Comment

• superted
          • Dec 2007

I've flown with Besson cases many times. I use t-shirts, undies and socks to pack out the case to minimise any movement the horn can have inside the case.

Luggage strap is recommended, as is locking the case.
          Ted

Besson Prestige BE2052-8G-0 Euphonium
          Besson Sovereign 956 Baritone

Comment

• superted
            • Dec 2007

Also the area where I have got dents in my euph, is the nuckles of the tubing just coming out of the valves on the front of the instrument.
            Ted

Besson Prestige BE2052-8G-0 Euphonium
            Besson Sovereign 956 Baritone

Comment

• Anorak-Horn
              • Jun 2017

Cheers Superted. Much appreciated!
              Jarrod Handley

Comment

Working...
              X