Thread: Band/Orchestral Excerpts

1. Band/Orchestral Excerpts

Hey,

I have another question about college audition repertoire

So one of the colleges that I think I'm going to apply at requires "Two or three band or orchestral excerpts of the player’s choice" as part of the audition.

Any ideas?

Can't quite double or triple tongue on the fly and I have the high Bb

-TJ

Do you have this book yet? You could just choose what you think shows you off the best:

http://www.cimarronmusic.com/euphoni...l-library-6979

The solo from the March of Holst's 2nd Suite is always a good choice.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Carnegie-Mellon, by any chance?

Regardless, when I had my audition there, I had to do some excerpts. I played the "Brisk Young Sailor" and "Lord Melbourne" movements of Lincolnshire Posy, "Bydlo" from Pictures at an Exhibition, and the "Cool" portion of Symphonic Dances From West Side Story.

Some good choices are Holst 2nd suite (like Dave mentioned), something from The Planets (Mars and/or Jupiter), any of the standard marches (Sousa and Karl King), or really anything out of Dave and Brian Bowman's excerpt book.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

4. Dave- I have just ordered a Rochut etude book. Your excerpt book is next on the list. I was actually considering the solo from Holst's Second Suite.

Jason- Carnegie Mellon indeed! I'll have a look at the Planets and some of the marches.

Thanks!

5. Is Euphonium Excerpts available digitally? The item page seems to indicate it is but I don't see any way of selecting that version.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpjorps View Post
    Is Euphonium Excerpts available digitally? The item page seems to indicate it is but I don't see any way of selecting that version.
    There is a glitch on the site and the publisher is looking into it. However, in this case no PDF will be available. It has to do with copyright issues. This book has multiple copyrights and the laws for different countries vary. Sorry about that. But it's nice to have some hard-copy content in your library, too!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium