Thread: Solo euph and Symphonic orchestra

Solo euph and Symphonic orchestra

As I have only been playing euph for 6 years and have limited knowledge on the Euphonium's repertoire (although I am very familiar with Phillip Sparke's work), I was wondering if there were any euphonium concertos that have symphonic orchestra accompaniment. I am competing in a competition through a college, and some of the requirements include that the solo of my choice must have a symphonic orchestra accompaniment, be under 15 minutes long, and be a concerto/aria (although I am allowed trim down any part I choose).

Thanks for all the help!

The Horovitz is the most famous but there are some others. David Child's recorded an album of them: https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2010830

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I recently played Ferdinand David's "Trombone Concertino". It has an orchestra accompaniment. It works really well for euphonium.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Among the 3 pages in the link below you will find 39 titles. Pretty good variety:

http://www.dwerden.com/emg/musicsear...tra&doSearch=1
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. If you choose the Horovitz, I believe that the orchestral accompaniment can only be rented, not purchased. The rental is through Novello but you may work with G. Schirmer here in the US. Information is here: http://www.musicsalesclassical.com/composer/work/903

The direct contact for renting the orchestral part is:

G. Schirmer Rental and Performance Department
    PO Box 572 (letter)
    2 Old Route 17 (parcel)
    Chester NY 10918
    USA

Tel: +1 (845) 469 5031
    Fax: +1 (845) 469 7544
    Email: rental@schirmer.com

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Some euphonium concertos with orchestra accompaniment include the Cosma, the Linkola, the Feinstein, the Horovitz and the Jansa Concerto Iberico. There are others but I can't remember them at the moment.

Plenty of trombone concertos also come with it, the David, the Bourgeois, the Rimsky-Korsakov, etc. Also worth considering is the Mozart K191 Bassoon Concerto, I know many euph players have had success with that.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    As I have only been playing euph for 6 years and have limited knowledge on the Euphonium's repertoire (although I am very familiar with Phillip Sparke's work), I was wondering if there were any euphonium concertos that have symphonic orchestra accompaniment. I am competing in a competition through a college, and some of the requirements include that the solo of my choice must have a symphonic orchestra accompaniment, be under 15 minutes long, and be a concerto/aria (although I am allowed trim down any part I choose).

Thanks for all the help!
    The Roggen concerto for euphonium, strings, and basso continuo. Written for and recorded by Roland Fröscher. Published by Power-music.ch

https://youtu.be/esxvTZbgeB4

Don Winston