Thread: Baritone mouthpiece recommendation

1. Baritone mouthpiece recommendation

Hi all,

I've started playing baritone in a brass band, which has been kind enough to let me use one of their Bessons, which has a great sound. I'm principally a euphonium player who also doubles on tuba, and I used to play an old Lidl baritone in a polka band, so I'm used to adjusting my embouchure between instruments. The mouthpiece I'm using what appears to be a clone of a Bach 3, although I can't tell for sure. Are there any "standard" baritone mouthpieces for brass band I should consider?

Thanks!
    -JK

There are a number of posts concerning mouthpieces - a lot depends on the shank size of the instrument. As I am historically a tuba player who is learning euphonium I have been working to find something for "chops in training" that enables me to play band music from low E flat to high B flat with a reasonable level of proficiency. I have fallen in love with a Wick 6BY (small shank). My horn has more of a Euro shank receiver and I was previously using a Wick 6BM (more difficult to play high A and B flat). I haven't gotten an adaptor bit for the smaller shank mouthpiece but I find that a small piece of exercise tubing will hold the mp in place and not leak.

As mentioned above, the forum has already had some fine discussions about recommended baritone mouthpieces. Here are some threads to get you started:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...one-mouthpiece

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...ne-mouthpieces
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Thanks guys, and I apologize if I started an unnecessary thread!

Start with the recommendations and then get an opportunity to try out the most likely possibilities. Some music stores have a selection of mp or maybe even a box of used mouthpieces hidden away in the repair shop. The variables include the characteristics of the horn, the size of the receiver, and your chops. Don't underestimate the last variable! Best wishes!

If you check with a local store, I'd ask about small-shank trombone mouthpieces, or say "trombone/baritone." The number of mouthpieces sold specifically as "baritone" is pretty small.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium