Thread: There's a 1912 Holton double bell euphonium

1. There's a 1912 Holton double bell euphonium

that I am thinking of bidding on. I'd appreciate from anyone owning a double bell. Are you using it? In which type of band do you use it in? Does anyone own a Holton double bell? Is 1200 too much to pay?

Thanks for your opinions.

LittleJimmy
    Yamaha 621s baritone

I assume you mean this one???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1912...-/263162179624

In general Holton is a very good brand. I have never played this particular model, though. Notice the seller's comments about the horn being sharp. A different mouthpiece might help, but you might also want to have a repair shop extend the main tuning slides (there is usually one for the small bell and one for the large).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	5409
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Hmm. The picture is of the main tuning slide in all the way. I wonder if that is why it is sharp? Otherwise, yes, if the main slide has to be pulled too far to get the horn in tune, it might need a lengthening of the main slide. Then make sure you pull the valve slides a tad to match the scale.

It may well be a "high pitch" instrument, in which case "A" may be as high as 465 before the slides are pulled (very sharp). There are some forum threads regarding high pitch instruments and the remedies.
    Last edited by carbogast; 08-29-2017 at 04:27 PM.