Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Footpedal scroll ipad

Footpedal scroll ipad

hello,

Not sure where to post this but... what is recommended to use as a footpedal to scroll my iPad when playing live to follow along with the music?

I hate having to scroll the screen down with a finger while playing to scroll down to see the screen, thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

-References
    -http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/LivePerformanceCategory/acapella-161/32034162-footpedal-scroll-ipad
    Last edited by RickF; 08-22-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Welcome to the forum. I don't use an iPad for music anymore so don't know the answer.

Note: I edited out your ad in your post.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. I use an AirTurn PED - https://store.airturn.com/products/airturn-ped-2

I use in in conjunction with forScore on my iPad Pro. I find it works great. I have been playing music off my iPad for last couple years
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 08-22-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

4. I can second the recommendation for the AirTurn pedals. My current setup is an iPad Pro 12.9" running forScore, the AirTurn goSTAND collapsible stand, the AirTurn DUO pedal, the iKlip Xpand tablet mount, and an accessory tray to hold a backup battery and anything else I'd usually be balancing on the ledge of a normal stand.

The whole thing fits into a standard backpack, lets me carry around many binders' worth of music at once without having to rearrange pages or worry about the wind picking them up, and I can grab parts directly off my groups' shared Dropbox accounts or take pictures of paper parts with my phone and transfer them to the tablet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PkJVJEM.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	978.3 KB 
ID:	5406

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I started to think that these things were pretty slick when I first saw them, then I changed my mind. Just like there being something to holding an actual book in my hands or a newspaper in my hands at breakfast with a cup of coffee, I find having a music stand and real music more comforting to me, in spite of issues like pencil marks and erasures, wind outside, turning pages on multiple paged parts, and a host of other things. I have sort of managed to this point in my life without the immediacy of having parts in a nanosecond or holding a gargantuan music library on an electronic tablet. I suppose this is the wave of the present and future, but I am happy with the old standard approach of regular music stands and regular music. And my cell phone DOES NOT do text, and I am happy about that. And I have a Master's in Computer Science, so I am sort of a geek, but a very conflicted one.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I'm with you John. Maybe it's an age related thing - don't know. I tried using an iPad for awhile using "ForScore" app (before the larger iPad pro). It was pretty nice in that you could annotate things, highlight key changes, etc. The best thing was it is back lit so you don't have to worry about having enough lighting. I decided there was nothing wrong with paper and pencil.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

7. My setup is less elaborate than above in that I use regular music stand. Then looks no different out front to audience with banner hung from stand. I have never required an extra battery. If it is an all day workshop, then I will plug in to charge in breaks, but I can play several hours without charging. More than enough for regular rehearsal or concert.

I originally started using iPad, as I seemed to always be the last in band to find my music. Now I am usually the first ready to play. Other advantages I have found are no problems seeing when sitting at back of dark stage, no lost music, no sharing stands as only one part for two people, no music blowing away outside and I can antotate as I wish - even highlight things like repeats or DS with colour, so no longer am searching and having trouble navigating. That and always having my music with me to practice makes it work for me.

One early problem was the display size on regular 9.7" iPad, but the newer iPad Pro 12.9" is perfect for the job. Personally I never miss using paper music and now have library of about 1500 pieces on the device. One thing people often ask is how i get the music digitalised. I simply scan with my iPad using ScannerPro app whenever a new piece comes out

PS I guess you could call me a modern person in that I will prefer to get a book, or whatever electronic to on paper. The reason being I am a lot of the time travelling and if it is on my iPad I can reference or read anytime, anywhere - as my iPad goes everywhere with me for business.
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 08-23-2017 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Adding further information
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

I do not use an iPad for music yet. It is becoming more popular with folks I play with. How much memory is needed for about 500 pieces of music that is 95% 1 or 2 pages? The rest being 3 or 4 pages.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I'm with you John. Maybe it's an age related thing - don't know. I tried using an iPad for awhile using "ForScore" app (before the larger iPad pro). It was pretty nice in that you could annotate things, highlight key changes, etc. The best thing was it is back lit so you don't have to worry about having enough lighting. I decided there was nothing wrong with paper and pencil.
    Yes, Rick, I think age is certainly part of it. There is also just something more authentic to me in using real music, but I am quite certain our kind of thinking is on the decline, and the electronic stuff on the incline. Such is life....
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

10. Quote Originally Posted by opus37 View Post
    How much memory is needed for about 500 pieces of music that is 95% 1 or 2 pages? The rest being 3 or 4 pages.
    The 1500 pieces on my iPad takes 4Gb storage, so I would suggest a 32Gb iPad (the smallest memory size) would more than cover your requirements.
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast