• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeClark
    Banned
    • Jul 2017

Footpedal scroll ipad

hello,

Not sure where to post this but... what is recommended to use as a footpedal to scroll my iPad when playing live to follow along with the music?

I hate having to scroll the screen down with a finger while playing to scroll down to see the screen, thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

-References
    -http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/LivePerformanceCategory/acapella-161/32034162-footpedal-scroll-ipad
    Last edited by RickF; 08-22-2017, 09:20 AM.
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Welcome to the forum. I don't use an iPad for music anymore so don't know the answer.

Note: I edited out your ad in your post.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Jonathantuba
      • Apr 2013

I use an AirTurn PED - https://store.airturn.com/products/airturn-ped-2

I use in in conjunction with forScore on my iPad Pro. I find it works great. I have been playing music off my iPad for last couple years
      Last edited by Jonathantuba; 08-22-2017, 02:26 PM.
      www.Wessex-Tubas.com
      Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
      Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• jimpjorps
        • Sep 2015

I can second the recommendation for the AirTurn pedals. My current setup is an iPad Pro 12.9" running forScore, the AirTurn goSTAND collapsible stand, the AirTurn DUO pedal, the iKlip Xpand tablet mount, and an accessory tray to hold a backup battery and anything else I'd usually be balancing on the ledge of a normal stand.

The whole thing fits into a standard backpack, lets me carry around many binders' worth of music at once without having to rearrange pages or worry about the wind picking them up, and I can grab parts directly off my groups' shared Dropbox accounts or take pictures of paper parts with my phone and transfer them to the tablet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PkJVJEM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	978.3 KB
ID:	117192
        Dillon 3+1 non-comp euph - Wessex marching baritone - Dynasty DEG G baritone bugle
        Schiller American Heritage Bb/F trombone
        Kanstul Contra Grande G contrabass bugle - Schiller American Heritage 3/4 4V piston BBb tuba

Comment

• John Morgan
          • Apr 2014

I started to think that these things were pretty slick when I first saw them, then I changed my mind. Just like there being something to holding an actual book in my hands or a newspaper in my hands at breakfast with a cup of coffee, I find having a music stand and real music more comforting to me, in spite of issues like pencil marks and erasures, wind outside, turning pages on multiple paged parts, and a host of other things. I have sort of managed to this point in my life without the immediacy of having parts in a nanosecond or holding a gargantuan music library on an electronic tablet. I suppose this is the wave of the present and future, but I am happy with the old standard approach of regular music stands and regular music. And my cell phone DOES NOT do text, and I am happy about that. And I have a Master's in Computer Science, so I am sort of a geek, but a very conflicted one.
          John Morgan
          The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
          Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
          1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
          Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
          Year Round Except Summer:
          Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
          KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
          Summer Only:
          Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
          Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• RickF
            • Jan 2006

I'm with you John. Maybe it's an age related thing - don't know. I tried using an iPad for awhile using "ForScore" app (before the larger iPad pro). It was pretty nice in that you could annotate things, highlight key changes, etc. The best thing was it is back lit so you don't have to worry about having enough lighting. I decided there was nothing wrong with paper and pencil.
            Rick Floyd

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.

Comment

• Jonathantuba
              • Apr 2013

My setup is less elaborate than above in that I use regular music stand. Then looks no different out front to audience with banner hung from stand. I have never required an extra battery. If it is an all day workshop, then I will plug in to charge in breaks, but I can play several hours without charging. More than enough for regular rehearsal or concert.

I originally started using iPad, as I seemed to always be the last in band to find my music. Now I am usually the first ready to play. Other advantages I have found are no problems seeing when sitting at back of dark stage, no lost music, no sharing stands as only one part for two people, no music blowing away outside and I can antotate as I wish - even highlight things like repeats or DS with colour, so no longer am searching and having trouble navigating. That and always having my music with me to practice makes it work for me.

One early problem was the display size on regular 9.7" iPad, but the newer iPad Pro 12.9" is perfect for the job. Personally I never miss using paper music and now have library of about 1500 pieces on the device. One thing people often ask is how i get the music digitalised. I simply scan with my iPad using ScannerPro app whenever a new piece comes out

PS I guess you could call me a modern person in that I will prefer to get a book, or whatever electronic to on paper. The reason being I am a lot of the time travelling and if it is on my iPad I can reference or read anytime, anywhere - as my iPad goes everywhere with me for business.
              Last edited by Jonathantuba; 08-23-2017, 04:37 AM. Reason: Adding further information
              www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• opus37
                • Jul 2015

I do not use an iPad for music yet. It is becoming more popular with folks I play with. How much memory is needed for about 500 pieces of music that is 95% 1 or 2 pages? The rest being 3 or 4 pages.

Comment

• John Morgan
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by RickF View Post
                  I'm with you John. Maybe it's an age related thing - don't know. I tried using an iPad for awhile using "ForScore" app (before the larger iPad pro). It was pretty nice in that you could annotate things, highlight key changes, etc. The best thing was it is back lit so you don't have to worry about having enough lighting. I decided there was nothing wrong with paper and pencil.
                  Yes, Rick, I think age is certainly part of it. There is also just something more authentic to me in using real music, but I am quite certain our kind of thinking is on the decline, and the electronic stuff on the incline. Such is life....
                  John Morgan
                  The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                  Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                  1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                  Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                  Year Round Except Summer:
                  Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                  KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                  Summer Only:
                  Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                  Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• Jonathantuba
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by opus37 View Post
                    How much memory is needed for about 500 pieces of music that is 95% 1 or 2 pages? The rest being 3 or 4 pages.
                    The 1500 pieces on my iPad takes 4Gb storage, so I would suggest a 32Gb iPad (the smallest memory size) would more than cover your requirements.
                    www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• davewerden
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2005

I'm teetering between old-school and new-school thinking on this issue in general. Technology offers us a lot of advantages, and I take advantage of them every day. I certainly see the strengths of using an iPad for music. Page turning is always a challenge, for example, with printed music. And I love being able to buy music online and download the PDF immediately. How cool is that?!

But I also like printed music. Marking it up is easy, and I do a LOT of that. There is also a major archival advantage to the printed sheet. I recently recorded Concert Etude (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0azCwEcQgE), and I was reading off sheet music I bought when I was in high school and have marked up along the way. Some of the markup came during my Masters program, which was about 25 years ago. If I electronically mark up a piece of music on an iPad, will I still be able to see that in 25 years? Are file formats going to remain the same? As for the "how cool is that" music I have downloaded and printed on letter paper on my inkjet printer, it is doubtful those copies, assuming I successfully keep all the pages together, will be in as good a condition after 50 years as my copy of Concert Etude is today.

Despite all our technological advances today, I think we are still somewhat "young" in the total scheme of development. I own a large stack of DVD's. I also "own" streaming movies on Amazon. I put quotes around "own" because I am pretty sure I don't own anything there. I have a license to use them. A copyright squabble could take away my rights at some point. Or Amazon could go out of business (I know, I know... but I still remember Crazy Eddie's). Then what? My Amazon streaming movies would disappear, I assume.
                      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                      YouTube: dwerden
                      Facebook: davewerden
                      Twitter: davewerden
                      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• RickF
                        • Jan 2006

Maybe part of my concern is the technology itself. Having worked for the FAA over 30 years on computers and radar, I know the technology sure isn't fool proof. I remember watching a tuba quartet performance at the TUSABTEC (now called workshop) where Carol Jantsch was playing this past year. I think the group is called "Tubular". She had trouble with the foot pedal. Just found that video and linked to that portion below. She finally gives up and uses her hand to turn pages. Don't know if it was interference with Bluetooth or the device itself.

Quartet Recital - Tubular
                        Rick Floyd

Comment

• Jonathantuba
                          • Apr 2013

A previous profession of mine was in Information Security so I am very aware to risks of loosing or corrupting the music library. All my music is therefore backed up to my desktop computer, iCloud and Dropbox. I think if all of that is lost, as well as my iPad, then the end of the world has come!

No telling about future file formats, but so much important information and documents are now stored in PDF format, I think there must always be a method of accessing in the future through backward compatibility.

For technology failure, in my time of using iPad, I have only once had it fail on me. A little known aspect of iPads is they automatically shut down if they overheat to protect themselves. I have once playing in hot sun had the iPad shut down. After 5 minutes in the shade it would restart, but did put me out of commission (well actually busking it) for the rest of the piece being played at the time. Now I know of this aspect, I take precautions by covering, or moving it to shade between pieces if in hot sun and have not had further problem.
                          Last edited by Jonathantuba; 08-23-2017, 11:42 AM.
                          www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• davewerden
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2005

Of course, the old-fashioned way of managing printed sheets and page turns is not always perfect, either!

http://www.interlude.hk/front/page-t...-harder-think/
                            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                            YouTube: dwerden
                            Facebook: davewerden
                            Twitter: davewerden
                            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• jimpjorps
                              • Sep 2015

Part of the reason I rely so heavily on my electronic setup is that I'm often playing horns that I can't let go of, like marching baritone or contra, so page turns are impossible unless I put the horn down or squeeze it between my legs or hope I can balance it with one hand long enough. Of course, this sometimes goes awry when I accidentally kick the pedal out of reach; what I'd really like is a page turner I could velcro to the horn itself, but I haven't seen anything small and unobtrusive enough to make that work.
                              Dillon 3+1 non-comp euph - Wessex marching baritone - Dynasty DEG G baritone bugle
                              Schiller American Heritage Bb/F trombone
                              Kanstul Contra Grande G contrabass bugle - Schiller American Heritage 3/4 4V piston BBb tuba

Comment

Working...
                              X