Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SE Shires Euphonium

SE Shires Euphonium

Just got around to watching a Q&A with Steve Shires from a few weeks ago. He announced that they are working on a prototype euphonium, but no date for it yet.

2. Do you have a link to the video you mentioned?
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

I had to dig to find it, and it may not work. It was a live event, but hopefully this archive link works...

https://www.facebook.com/SEShires/vi...9488749096651/

The Euphonium prototype reference was towards the end.

Interesting. We'll see what happens. Many years ago Thayer was considering making a euphonium, but nothing came of it. But Shires has a much better foundation to work from, so perhaps it will happen. I couldn't tell if he was thinking of compensating or non-compensating, but he mentioned consulting with professional players, so I would assume compensating.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Knowing the reputation of Shires, I would say the quality of such an instrument would be excellent. Right now I believe the market is a bit overflowing and it would be a limited demand for his euphoniums. The price range may also be a factor.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    B&S PT33-S Euphonium
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone

Quote Originally Posted by howrdhodge View Post
    Just got around to watching a Q&A with Steve Shires from a few weeks ago. He announced that they are working on a prototype euphonium, but no date for it yet.
    i heard about this earlier this year. They are working with a few of the best DC-based military band players, and it'll be Willson-flavored. As someone who owns eight Shires trombones, I am positive it'll be great.
    --
    Barry

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    i heard about this earlier this year. They are working with a few of the best DC-based military band players, and it'll be Willson-flavored. As someone who owns eight Shires trombones, I am positive it'll be great.
    How exciting! I've owned a couple of Shires trombones in the past and I'll back up Barry on that...they are fantastic instruments and I have little doubt the euphoniums will also be great players. They will also be expensive...with several models of off-the-shelf euphoniums currently pushing nearly $9k, I wouldn't be shocked if these will be priced at $10k or more. In the late 90s I got a major case of sticker shock when their first whole instruments were priced at $2500+...this at a time when you could get an off the rack Conn 88H for $900 or Bach 42 for just a little more...but they were fantastic instruments, and they didn't catch up with the first wave of orders for several years. This will be very interesting to watch.

seems that the new Shires Q Series euphonium is coming... As per their facebook webpage, prototypes will be presented at this year’s ITEC

https://www.facebook.com/SEShires/ph...type=3&theater

Yep, that was also mentioned in another thread. Thanks for posting here. I'm planning to give one a good blow at ITEC. The photo makes it look like the valves have a pretty wide spacing, but that could just be one of those "photo things."
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I checked the ITEC exhibitors list at:

https://www.iteaonline.org/conferenc...age=Exhibitors and Advertisers

Could not find Shires... Does anyone know at which booth/suite will the new euphonium be shown?

Regards, Guido
    Euph - Wessex EP104 Festivo - SM4U
    Flugel - Kanstul 1525
    Trpt - Adams A4 LB
    Bb Cornet -Carolbrass CCR-7772R-GSS
    Eb Cornet - Carolbrass CCR-7775-GSS

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast