Thread: Home security

Home security

Hey Folks - I wanted to start a new thread to ask you all about keeping your best instruments secured in some fashion at home, such as being locked up or put in a safe...beyond just stashing it in a closet, etc. I ask this because in some other areas, the mentality is always to put your real valuables worth more than a certain amount of money, in a safe...or at least locked up somewhere to discourage theft by would be burglars, etc. This is something I never thought much about and certainly don't to this day with my current musical instrument collection having a collective value of less than $1500, but years ago I once had a Yamaha 642 (old style) and a Besson Prestige at the same time. Nowadays those would have a combined value of nearly $13k or so. But years ago I didn't take any special precautions about securing them besides stashing them in a less than obvious closet. We have always had a home security system and and it wasn't something I ever worried about. Storing it behind a locked door is not likely to deter professional thieves, and you would have to spend a small fortune to get a decent safe large enough to hold a euphonium or tuba.

I'm very curious to hear others thoughts on this matter.

Scheduled property insurance as a rider on your homeowner's policy. I have not come up with anything more clever than that. Frankly, I would be OK having to replace my horns via insurance. My most painful loss would be my music, and no thief is likely to bother with that.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I have my M5050 insured against theft, loss or damage. Also have an alarm system on our house with decals on most windows and a small sign. Some report that 80% of theft deterrent are signs or decals.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Scheduled property insurance as a rider on your homeowner's policy. I have not come up with anything more clever than that. Frankly, I would be OK having to replace my horns via insurance. My most painful loss would be my music, and no thief is likely to bother with that.
    Up until a few years ago, I would totally have gone the route that you mention, i.e., homeowner's insurance. But I got burned big time with this cluster of cedar trees that came down smashing my fence, one by one, in two separate snowstorms several years ago. To the insurance company, these were two separate incidents even though I told them ahead of time that once one tree fell, the others were sure to follow since the root systems were so intertwined. The insurance company I had, which advertises that they are there for you like a good neighbor, kicked me off of my policy for making too many claims. I did find another decent insurance company, but I'm now very hesitant to file a claim unless it is something really big. Right now, with my horns not being worth that much, no way I would file a claim. If I were to add a premium horn to the mix however, the risk/benefit would likely change

Some report that 80% of theft deterrent are the signs.
    I have heard that too Rick! One thing I have always done is to make sure I use the security system...apparently a lot of folks that have security systems fail to use it all the time. Fortunately, I live in a very safe neighborhood, but it pays to watch out I think.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I have a rider on my home owners policy for my Adams (only). It is covered for virtually any loss whatsoever, no deductible, and costs about $36 a year. I have a Yamaha Disklavier and several other horns (probably worth over $10k for the horns, another $10K or so for the piano), but nothing special on any of them other than my home owner's insurance, which I am pretty sure would not pay for all of them if all of them got snatched or burned up or otherwise destroyed or stolen.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)