X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbrown
    • Mar 2014

Info about King 2266

i'm playing a king 2280 euph right now, but i'm afflicted with arthritis and other problems in my neck and shoulders and i just can't find a very comfortable position to play this instrument. i'm considering a change to a front action and while i can manage to afford whatever i want, i'd rather keep the price comfortable. especially since i'm mainly playing community band gigs and a few quintets... (really a tuba player masquerading as a euphoniumist)

a couple of King 2266 instruments have popped up and seem to be regarded fairly highly (based on what they're selling at auction).

tell me more?
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

I owned a King 2266 from my junior year in high school until about halfway through my CG Band career. It was a great example of the American 4-valve front-valve instruments. Intonation, response, and tone were all very good. The Conn's might have had a sweeter sound, but the King could handle power better. I see one for sale now on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-2266-4-...QAAOSwuZhZlKoj

This one likely will not bring top dollar because of the condition. Some have been on eBay for around $2k in great condition (overhauled). In a mathematical sense, they are not worth that much today because you can buy a more modern, compensating horn for less. However, if the horn suits your comfort the best, then it's worth getting one. If you could find one that is in decent shape for dents, but has bad finish. That would save some money and probably get you a good-playing horn. Or you can find a more beat-up horn and have the work done yourself. Lots of choices! But you have to be patient.

If budget is not a problem, then you can still buy new 2266 horns, like this:

http://www.wwbw.com/King-2266-2268-A...rn-468331.wwbw

Cost is $2,579. You can also buy up to the 2268 and get the upright bell if you prefer.
    Last edited by davewerden; 08-20-2017, 05:46 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• dsurkin
      • Feb 2014

Have you considered the new Wessex front-action, compensating horn? I have not tried it, but considering my own issues with arthritis, I have been considering it.
      Dean L. Surkin
      Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
      Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
      Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
      See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• mbrown
        • Mar 2014

yes... i've looked it over and have read the reviews. i'm definitely interested. i'm kind of shopping around a bit since i don't know what's available and haven't pulled the trigger yet. i really like my 2280, so when i saw this model i thought it might be the same build, but bell front... making it a different model #. i'd be happy with a front action 2280 :-) being a tuba player, the low register is pretty easy for me and it's gorgeous. i play a lot of my tuba literature with it just for fun.

Comment

• BDeisinger
          • Jan 2015

You might look around for some used 4 front valve instrument such as the Conn 24 and 25I. They are great instruments but kind of scarce to find one in good condition. I believe Reynolds made some 4 valve front but can't remember what we had in college. They are easier on the hands. I own a B&S oval with the front 4 rotary valves which is nice. Takes some getting used to after piston valves all these years. I believe Wessex makes a similar horn.
          B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
          Wessex Festivo
          B&S PT37-S
          Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
          Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

I, too, am anxious to try the front-valve Wessex compensating. In fact, I'm scheduled to do so in Sept. some time.

Your mention of "shoulders" made me lean toward the American horns because they are lighter (less tubing, smaller valves). But if weight is not a problem the Wessex could be a good solution. My understanding is that it "holds" differently from the old American horns, so one or there other may be better for you.

Reynolds was a competitor to King/Conn and they made good instruments. Old is also good for the American breed.
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Forgot to mention Holton, also a good brand (but harder to find).
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Speaking of Olds, here is a magnificent Old Studio (top of the line) 4-valve restored. But it is $2,650 for buy-it-now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLDS-STUDIO-...8AAOSwB-1Y58L8

This model had a nickel-silver bell flare, which was pretty to look at and gave it a full, dark sound. Even if you don't want it, take a look at the photos. They were pretty unique.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	117191
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• euphdude
                  • Feb 2006

I love my Olds ambassador....I got it thanks to Daves great eye...price was decent and it is a very good player

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/attachm...2&d=1433720402
                  - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
                  Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
                  King Jiggs P-bone

Comment

• BDeisinger
                    • Jan 2015

Dave that is a beautiful horn, and the price is a little high but completely restored. I would say pretty much the same as my 24I. The front bell in todays band can be a bit of an issue but you can always twist it around to fit with the section.
                    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
                    Wessex Festivo
                    B&S PT37-S
                    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
                    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Comment

• davewerden
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2005

CORRECTION! That King listing (the used one) I put in my first reply was NOT fraudulent as far as I can tell. Sorry for the mistake. Here it is again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-2266-4-...-/152666399478

The bogus listings generally direct you to not bid, but rather to call directly. That way they avoid eBay's protections for the buyer! This guy just likes to use a lot of red caps in his listing and I guess I read it too quickly. Sorry for the misdirection. This horn might turn out to be a very good buy as an experiment. If the price stays low it could be a small investment to try the thing under actual playing conditions and see how it goes. You could then choose to have it cleaned up or find a nicer one and sell this one. Or keep it for a tough-condition-gig horn, when you are in danger of attracting damage.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                      Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

Working...
                      X