Thread: DEG BB1 Mouthpiece

1. DEG BB1 Mouthpiece

I've heard that the BB1 is basically a modified 51D, could someone elaborate on how? Specially how does the rim/bite and cup depth compare?

I tried them back to back more than 10 years ago, so take that for what it is worth. My impression was the BB1 had a slightly sharper rim and the 51D was slightly more rounded. The slight increased mass of the BB1 gave predictable results....slightly increased projection, and slightly slower response. And that comparison was also based off the old Schilke large shank design, which were designed to work with the Conn Remington style receivers of 88H trombones and more traditional Bach type receivers. This made the shanks slightly longer, and I noticed the increased length may have depressed the pitch very slightly. Since then Schilke has redesigned their mouthpieces to use the more conventional shank taper.....I have NOT tried those

I can't give specifics on what was different, but I can tell that by the feel of it that it seemed to me that the rim felt thicker and more constraining on my lips. It had a really nice tone but for me it just felt too small and made my high register harder. I have a 51d that I use from time to time and I liked the tone and comfort better. The BB1 felt almost painful on my lips after a short time. Overall I prefer the 51D to the BB1 any day.
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

4. I'm a long-time 51d user and started playing on a bb1 about six months back.....just for something different.

Like others have said, the inner rim feels a tad sharper/pronounced than the Schilke. Also, the cup seems to be a bit less cup shaped and a bit more cone shaped compared to the Schilke....but essentially the same depth. In terms of tone, it may be slightly easier to project on the bb1, but I think I prefer the tone that I get with the Schilke over the bb1.

When I switch back and forth, it's difficult to decide which I like more. There just really isn't that much difference in tone/playability. Comfort is probably best with the 51d. Honestly, the biggest difference between the two is the exterior shape/look.

if you are happy with the Schilke, my advice would be to just stick with it.

I would agree totally with EuphGuy. I had played on a Schilke 51D when I won my audition with the USAF Band, and it was (and still is honestly) one of the most comfortable rims you can ever put on your face. It's incredibly "cushy" and round. It feels very soft on the face. I've never felt as though that rim was cutting into my chops. When I went back-and-forth with the 51D and BB1, I experienced some things that I really liked about the BB1 over the Schilke. I actually like how the BB1 forces you into a specific sound. It is incredibly focused and pitch does center faster and easier on the BB1 in all registers. The throat is a bit smaller than the 51D, which makes it feel easier to play overall, but when you really try to "torque" it, I felt it wouldn't let me do that, particularly in the extreme upper registers. They are both fantastic choices, and you can't go wrong with either. I have two of my top students here in northern VA/DC playing on a Schilke 51D and a Bowman BB1. They sound great.
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com