Thread: Schilke 51D to SM5

1. Schilke 51D to SM5

Hello everyone!

I am a high school student who recently switched from a Schilke 51D to a SM5. The rim is substantially smaller, and mouthpiece pressure is beginning to be a problem. The cup diameter is also bigger. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this problem and adapt to this piece better? Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!

I strongly suspect that it is the rim shape, rather than its width, that is troubling you. In my experience the new rim should feel more normal in a few weeks. How long have you had the SM5?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Around a week, I switched from trumpet to euphonium (change of heart) around 6 months ago. I've been successful so far, and figured I'd give the piece a go.

Ah, then it's too soon to worry! Just keep practicing carefully - don't beat your chops, but rather build them slowly and gradually. I think you'll get there.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Thank you!

6. Sorry, one more question. Would you object to this piece in terms of the diameter? Or is it a good fit for a seasoned brass player picking up euphonium.

Really, it depends on you. Find a mouthpiece that works for you and stick with it. I went through a phase where I was trying every mouthpiece I could find, and none of them were quite what I wanted. I FINALLY was given the advice to just pick one and stick with it, so I just stuck with the one I'd been playing that week, which just happened to be an SM3. I think if you plan on continuing to play trumpet, and don't feel confined by the size of the SM5, stick with it. If you feel it's too small, try going up to a SM4 or SM3 and seeing how it feels. But like Dave said, it takes time to really get used to a mouthpiece, so if you feel like it's something YOU'RE happy with, and you get a good sound with it, then that should be what you stick with. At least that's my opinion. Others might have more to say on the matter, as far as maximizing your potential, but that was the advice I was given and it worked for me.