Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: generally, what range is expected from the euphonium in community band type music?

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Christiane,

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLE_-ly8hrQ

Towards the end some stuff on high range.

Dave's advice above is good, however, it is also important to have the right mechanics in place when going higher, you are changing your face (muscles, lips, etc.) as you go up and down. You "might" just happen to do the "right" things as you play these scales progressively higher, but it is useful to know what you should be doing. You can get a high range using a less than perfect approach (which may be limited in range and sound quality), and you can get a high range which sounds better and is higher when doing things with a better approach.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-17-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thank you both, Mr. Werden and Mr. Morgan! Will try out the technique and see how it goes. As Mr. Morgan has pointed out, it doens't feel like I've really grasp what exactly is needed to hit those notes after practicing the range exercise in the link. It feels like I just so happen to play it "right" some times and hit those notes.

That said, I just did a quick check of the end of the video share by Mr. Morgan (it was 4am, woke up and decided to a quick look).

I tried to be more aware and intentional of how i tighten the corners of my upper lips as per the video, and I think it FINALLY clicked!

I will need a few more days and maybe a week to properly assess it, but today's 30 minutes of practice, I was hitting the Bb comfortably with a relatively open sound and managed to play an appergio ascending and descending numerous times without fail. What's more surprising was that I did not feel too worn out to continue playing. What it took was to be aware and ensure that I actually pull upwards the corners of my upper lips muscles like in the video whenever I go higher. I am over the moon right now, will keep practicing and see if it's really progress!
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Necro'ing again, but while I think we can all think of many examples of pieces that have High Bb (Bb4) in them (Stars & Stripes, Molly on the Shore, Children's March etc.) can anyone think of any pieces that have C5, Db5, D5 or Eb5? I feel like I definitely have played pieces with these note but can't remember off the top of my head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fzg92fqtd40y.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	8635

Pines of Rome — lots of B naturals. I believe Rocky Point Holiday goes to C# and Aegean Festival Overture goes to D.

From my experiences in community band

Code:
    Crude ASCI bass clef staff.  Single dashes denote ledger lines.
    Notes are in concert Bb. (numbers are fingerings)

-Bb (0)
                   A# (0)       A (2)
    -G (12 or 3)

-

-

---------

---------

---------

---------

---------
             Fb (123 or 24)
    -E (123 or 24)

For the lower end, some euphoniums do not have a 4th valve, so if pieces going below the E below the staff aren't really a thing, or in the rare case it's there, go up an octave

For the higher end, The G above the staff would be an ideal minimum (I'm thinking in particular the euphonium solo in 2nd Suite In F, 1st movement, by Gustav Holst). I've had to play very brief passages involving A and Bb above the staff. This was for someone who 'wasn't that great'. If instructors know you're more capable, you can expect to go up to 2 half steps above the Bb

A little off topic- Is it “legal” to double tongue the notes in the first measure of the March (Holst 2nd Suite) ?

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    A little off topic- Is it “legal” to double tongue the notes in the first measure of the March (Holst 2nd Suite) ?
    Absolutely legal as long as you play with the correct length and attack (i.e. to match the other people and sections playing this). It is especially legal if your single tongue sounds like you are struggling to play it at tempo.

I work to make my double tongue sound like my single tongue. Here is a great way to upgrade your double tonguing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_nCefdZRkw
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123