Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally tried LeFreque plates

1. Finally tried LeFreque plates

Played duets with a friend yesterday and he had one at the mouthpiece-leadpipe connection. I experimented with them for about 2 minutes and honestly I'll be ordering a set ASAP. They made a MAJOR difference on his horn (Yamaha 842). When I put them on the intermediate horn I'm borrowing it was a completed different instrument. I hate gimmicks but these are definitely worth a try.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

Yep, I notice a difference too. Or more correctly my wife listening to me in a 'blind test' can hear a difference. I only have the 41mm (in silver) bridging across the mpc to receiver. They are fiddly to attach, but once I have them on I leave them on my mpc. I'm careful when removing my mpc to put my horn away.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Cumbanchero (Rafael Hernández) cell phone video

"They are fiddly to attach" -- you were watching the Steven Mead attachment videos

I have them on my Jinbao. I can't tell a big difference, but it does seem to land on notes better. I'm going to play with them for a few more weeks, and then take them off and see how bad the horn becomes.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    "They are fiddly to attach" -- you were watching the Steven Mead attachment videos
    Ha ha - Yes. Fiddly it seems is a popular term in the UK. I like to watch "Wheeler Dealer" where they buy cars, fix them up then sell. I often hear them say "fiddly".

Here's a link to exactly where Mr. Mead describes how to keep the plates attached to your mpc:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyiONFHMovY&t=3m45s
    Last edited by RickF; 08-09-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Cumbanchero (Rafael Hernández) cell phone video

Regarding these Lefreque plates, I'm still skeptical. I once played with a paperclip attached with rubber bands as a 'bridge' between mouthpiece and receiver and even then my mind gave me the impression the notes slotted better. I did not have anyone else listening though.

So in my opinion this could mean two things:
    - it is all rubbish and the effect is just 'between the ears';
    - they actually do work, but are waaayyy too expensive if you can get a similar effect with a paperclip...
    Last edited by MarChant; 08-03-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    Martin Monné
    • Wessex Festivo, 4-valve compensating (2017)
    • Hirsbrunner HBS 378 Standard, 4-valve compensating (1983)
    • Mahillon Bass Saxhorn, 4-valve (1927)
    • Anton Hüller Tenor Horn, 3-valve (Early 20th Century, HP, wallhanger)

6. If you want a set and not pay the full price. I have a full set for sale.

Check:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...s#.WYgxOoSLSUk

Kind regards,
    Tim
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

Quote Originally Posted by cochranme View Post
    Played duets with a friend yesterday and he had one at the mouthpiece-leadpipe connection. I experimented with them for about 2 minutes and honestly I'll be ordering a set ASAP. They made a MAJOR difference on his horn (Yamaha 842). When I put them on the intermediate horn I'm borrowing it was a completed different instrument. I hate gimmicks but these are definitely worth a try.
    Can you describe the difference you felt Martin?

8. Hi Michael,

On the pro horn (Yamaha 842) it made the slotting more defined. There was a greater evenness of color, especially noticeable in the high range. It was much easier to keep the sound from thinning out. On the intermediate horn (Besson 4 valve non comp) it was a more drastic difference. Really fortified the sound in all registers.

Quote Originally Posted by cochranme View Post
    Hi Michael,

On the pro horn (Yamaha 842) it made the slotting more defined. There was a greater evenness of color, especially noticeable in the high range. It was much easier to keep the sound from thinning out. On the intermediate horn (Besson 4 valve non comp) it was a more drastic difference. Really fortified the sound in all registers.
    Thanks Martin.

10. I've been looking at trying these out for probably a year or more, but am worried that I'll spend all this money on a set, and not notice a difference. If I were to buy one size, just to try them out and see if I notice any difference, any recommendations on which? It seems like maybe the bridge from mouthpiece to leadpipe is the most popular?

Also, is there a major difference with the different materials they're made from? It seems like they have at least 5 or 6 different options in terms of material/plating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast