Thread: Euph solo with concert band

Euph solo with concert band

Looking for a suggestion for a nice euph solo (possibly a ballad) with concert band for an adult community band and an accomplished euph soloist. Something that is still in print. Grade 3-4 band, 3-5 solo. This is for a winter/Christmas program.
    Thanks,
    John

I'd like to suggest James Curnow's "Rhapsody for Euphonium". Although not exactly for 'The Christmas Season', it's very lyrical with a little technical challenge. I think it's grade 4 for soloist, grade 3 for band. It runs around 6 minutes. It's in A minor Dorian mode, so very pleasing to the listener.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks Rick. An excellent suggestion. I'm actually scheduled to do that one as the soloist with a local university community band this fall. It's scored a little too sparsely for the other group I'm looking for. Doesn't have to be a Christmas piece.

Philip sparkes song for ina is also a good one, not to sure how hard it is to get the band arrangement for it.

I'm looking for a premiere of my Horizons for euph and band. I've tried to make it work here and so far no success. The solo with piano was premiered ten years ago and is here.

Quote Originally Posted by knuxie View Post
    I'm looking for a premiere of my Horizons for euph and band. I've tried to make it work here and so far no success. The solo with piano was premiered ten years ago and is here.
    Ken, have you tried approaching some New Horizon bands? Seems like a natural!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Know any?

"You Raise Me Up" - Rolf Levland / Takashi Hoshide. Don't think it's available here in the U.S. yet but you can get it from Europe. Hoshide is an excellent arranger and seems to like euphonium. He's the same arranger that did "A Portrait of Charlie Chaplin" we discussed before that has a nice euphonium solo.

Soloist in recording below is Shoichiro Hokazono. It starts like a ballad, but about half way through changes to a more upbeat style with busy accompaniment. I think the rhythm section is a bit loud for my tastes.

You can get the music here: http://bit.ly/2olpM32

YouTube recording:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoihZyQaoVo

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)