X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carbogast
    • Mar 2006

Herco Spitballs - Magic!

I use Herco "Spitballs" and have not had any problems with "crud" in my horn. I use them regularly, but make a point of it before using the QHR rinser.

-Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by carbogast View Post
    I use Herco "Spitballs" and have not had any problems with "crud" in my horn. I use them regularly, but make a point of it before using the QHR rinser.

-Carroll
    Interesting. I've played around with Spitballs, but I'm not sure how to use them without getting something stuck. The large ones get stuck in the leadpipe. I have to use a swab to push them into the 1st valve casing, which is all I've done so far.

Could you tell us what size you use and what your technique is? (i.e. do you blow them through the open horn, or with valves down, etc.). Thanks.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• djwpe
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
      Interesting. I've played around with Spitballs, but I'm not sure how to use them without getting something stuck. The large ones get stuck in the leadpipe. I have to use a swab to push them into the 1st valve casing, which is all I've done so far.

Could you tell us what size you use and what your technique is? (i.e. do you blow them through the open horn, or with valves down, etc.). Thanks.
      I use the large size Spitballs. Procedure:

- remove main tuning slide
      - Push a spitball into the leadpipe with a pencil
      - inset mouthpiece
      - blow hard through open valve set and catch in hand as it comes out
      - repeat with all valves down.

Never had one stuck since I figured out the pencil trick.

Don Winston

Comment

• daruby
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by djwpe View Post
        I use the large size Spitballs. Procedure:

- remove main tuning slide
        - Push a spitball into the leadpipe with a pencil
        - inset mouthpiece
        - blow hard through open valve set and catch in hand as it comes out
        - repeat with all valves down.

Never had one stuck since I figured out the pencil trick.

Don Winston
        I use the same procedure as Don. Works great. Once you create an air plenum between the spitball and the mouthpiece by pushing it down the leadpipe a ways, you just blow as hard as you can. I have even gotten the large spitballs through all the nooks and crannies of a 4 valve English baritone (approx. .501 bore with a switchback in the 4th valve loop!). Use a rag to catch the spitball at the tuning slide as lots of ugly green stuff can come out!
        Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
        Concord Band
        Winchendon Winds
        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• carbogast
          • Mar 2006

Herco Spitballs - Magic!

I use a similar procedure as Don & Doug except I push it in with the mouthpiece, then I take the mouthpiece out and reinsert it (otherwise the spitball seems to not get going). I blow it hard with all the valves down and fetch it out of the bell. It's good idea to remove the main slide if you anticipate lots of stuff coming out.- Carroll
          Carroll Arbogast
          Piano Technician
          CMA Piano Care

Comment

• RickF
            • Jan 2006

I've been leery of trying these because of the risk of getting them stuck somewhere. Will the Herco Large sized spitball make it through the 2nd valve comp loop? That's a tough place to clean for sure.

Thanks.
            Last edited by RickF; 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM.
            Rick Floyd
            Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
            Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
            The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
            Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• daruby
              • Apr 2006

Never Had a problem with Herco Spitballs

Originally posted by RickF View Post
              I've been leery of trying these because of the risk of getting them stuck somewhere. Will the Herco Large sized spitball make it through the 2nd valve comp loop? That's a tough place to clean for sure.

Thanks.
              Rick,

I have never had a problem getting the large Herco Spitballs through my horns, including all of the compensating paths. Even the tortuous ones in my small bore York 3056 4-valve English baritone.

As Don said:

1. Remove the tuning slide.
              2. When you insert the foam spitball in the lead pipe, push it in past the receiver using a pen, pencil, small screwdriver tip, etc.
              3. Insert the mouthpiece.
              4. Push all 4 valves down.
              5. Blow like crazy.

With a big "whoosh:, the spitball and a bunch of crud come flying out of your tuning slide. I usually have a towel on the floor to catch it all. Make sure your tuning slide is not pointed at your pants!

Repeat the above with no valves down to clean the last of the passages. Do each path at least twice, then use the QHR to rinse out the horn.
              Concord Band
              Winchendon Winds
              Townsend Military Band

Comment

• RickF
                • Jan 2006

Thanks for the follow-up Doug. Just wondering about the 'tight turn' of the 2nd valve comp loop. I'll have to give this a go.
                Rick Floyd

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.

Comment

• daruby
                  • Apr 2006

I find that the Herco spitballs are the ONLY way I can get to the 2nd valve comp loop successfully. I have had no problems blowing the spitball through it.
                  Concord Band
                  Winchendon Winds
                  Townsend Military Band

Comment

• carbogast
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by daruby View Post
                    I find that the Herco spitballs are the ONLY way I can get to the 2nd valve comp loop successfully. I have had no problems blowing the spitball through it.
                    Ditto. Just give it a good hard blow. There are two spitball sizes, get the "large" size. I learned about them at a maintenance clinic give by Jim Becker of Osmun music at Mike Milnaricks's tuba/euph camp a while ago. I've been using them ever since. - Carroll
                    Carroll Arbogast
                    Piano Technician
                    CMA Piano Care

Comment

• carbogast
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by daruby View Post
                      Rick,

I have never had a problem getting the large Herco Spitballs through my horns, including all of the compensating paths. Even the tortuous ones in my small bore York 3056 4-valve English baritone.

As Don said:

1. Remove the tuning slide.
                      2. When you insert the foam spitball in the lead pipe, push it in past the receiver using a pen, pencil, small screwdriver tip, etc.
                      3. Insert the mouthpiece.
                      4. Push all 4 valves down.
                      5. Blow like crazy.

With a big "whoosh:, the spitball and a bunch of crud come flying out of your tuning slide. I usually have a towel on the floor to catch it all. Make sure your tuning slide is not pointed at your pants!

Repeat the above with no valves down to clean the last of the passages. Do each path at least twice, then use the QHR to rinse out the horn.
                      Doug, if all the valves are down, won't the spitball traverse all the loops? If not, I've got some loops to "spitball"! - Carroll
                      Carroll Arbogast
                      Piano Technician
                      CMA Piano Care

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

THANK YOU ALL! I was afraid to ever try this, but you gave me confidence and it worked great! Frankly, it's hard to believe that little plug made it through all those bends, but it did. I lost count of how many snakes I broke trying to clean a compensating euphonium, starting in college. Between this and the QHR, maintenance has taken on a more rosy outlook.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• RickF
                          • Jan 2006

I ordered some Herco (large) spitballs last night from Musician's Friend (they offer free shipping). Looking forward to trying these out. About 3 weeks ago I had my M5050 ultrasonically cleaned so not expecting too much 'green yuck', but we'll see. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Last edited by RickF; 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM.
                          Rick Floyd

Comment

• enhite
                            • May 2012

Originally posted by carbogast View Post
                            Doug, if all the valves are down, won't the spitball traverse all the loops? If not, I've got some loops to "spitball"! - Carroll

Dave Werden has some great drawings that show air flow through various valve configurations in his excellent description of how a compensating system works at
                            http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-comp.cfm Click on the icon at the upper right to see the valve configurations. Hope that helps.

Comment

• carbogast
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by enhite View Post
                              Dave Werden has some great drawings that show air flow through various valve configurations in his excellent description of how a compensating system works at
                              http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-comp.cfm Click on the icon at the upper right to see the valve configurations. Hope that helps.
                              Yes, so the compensating valves are additive. On reflection, running the spitball through with and without the 4th valve depressed might result in a different "action", so I think it is worth while. Certainly, if you want to be a gunk scientist, blow out the gunk before the 4th valve is pressed and do it again with it pressed. Report your results!

All kidding aside, this sort of information is useful and very difficult to come by. Dave's forum can bring many observers to report on their experiences with these unusual topics and we all benefit as a result.

-Carroll
                              Carroll Arbogast
                              Piano Technician
                              CMA Piano Care

Comment

Working...
                              X